Rock solid network?

potatoofdoom2 10:31 07 Apr 06

I know many posts exist regarding setup but there seems to be even more with setup problems. Can those in the know suggest a rock solid, tried and tested arrangement to enable a desktop PC and a wireless enabled laptop to connect together and the net.
Both operate WinXP. The telephone connection is downstairs and I wish to locate the desktop PC upstairs and the laptop as required.
Future proofing would be an advantage.

Many thanks
Jim

mgmcc 11:50 07 Apr 06

My simple answer would be "No"!

If you want a "rock solid" network then, I would suggest it needs to be "wired".

The MIMO type of wireless hardware should be the most reliable, but bear in mind that any "high speed" wireless networking (i.e. speeds in excess of the 54Mbps 802.11g standard) is proprietary and requires compatible hardware from the same stable. The new 802.11n WiFi protocol, supposedly supporting 540Mbps, will eventually result in high speed hardware being compatible again.

wobblymike 13:32 07 Apr 06

mgmcc makes a valid point above, that said, I use a D-Link 604+ connected to a desktop by ethernet upstairs and use a laptop to wander round the house. It works fine with very little trouble and I recommend it. Caution - if AOL is your ISP - it still works but other things have to be done as well

click here

if you want to read the story.

ade.h 15:33 07 Apr 06

I am lucky enough to have a perfect wireless network; never a dropped connection, handshakes at maximum speed and seems to stay very consistent, and the router always works. Apart from a couple of issues (now sorted) much the same goes for the networks of friends/relatives/other folk that I have set up or advised.

That may sound boastful, but I don't mean it that way; I don't know whether it's just down to me doing it right, but it cannot be entirely that because I know that plenty of people have correctly configured networks but still have some problems. It can take some detailed research and lateral thinking to find solutions when things are apparently set up correctly.

But, more often that not, problems arise because the network has not been set up correctly. At some point, a mistake has been made and it can be difficult to track it down - especially at a distance - because there are a lot of steps involved and a number of variables.

I tend to advise those who are new to this to do what I did when I was new to it. Do your research; spend some time learning the terminology, technology, pitfalls, tricks and techniques of networking and go into it with both eyes wide open. It dramatically reduces the risk of problems arising.

Danoh 02:43 08 Apr 06

My pre-N MIMO wireless network (Belkin router, 2x LinkSys PC adapters) also works well with standard 802.11g kit (D-Link USB adapter & Sony Vaio laptop).
With all security measures utilised.

Being pre-N, it is proprietary but is supposed to be upgradeable via firmware updates. As AirGo (the pre-N technology used in Belkin and Linksys) is closely associated with the IEEE's 802.11n work, purportedly, there is a risk that this might actually work out in the future. :-)

But if you want "rock solid", then don't go wireless.
I've had to re-set/re-boot the router 3/4 times in 2 months so far. No idea why but I've read a view that its down to the router getting too warm (I tend to leave mine on).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…