RJ45 WALL SOCKET

barryhodges 16:37 16 Oct 08

Can anyone tell me which connections must be connected of the 8 connectors in the RJ45 wall socket? I have run a cable to an outside building with wire that colours do not correspond to the wiring diagram. I know it doesnt matter so long as I connect say 1 to 1 and 2 to 2,and so on but I only have 5 wires in the cable and there are 8 connecters, so need to know which ones are necessary. I have connected the four on the left hand side to each other, but this does not work.

barryhodges 16:49 16 Oct 08

Can you tell mw which ones these are, as they are not numbered. Does it go 1234 down the left and then 5678 down the right?

barryhodges 17:09 16 Oct 08

looking at it from the back - 4 connections down the side with (descending) orange/white, orange, green/white, green under the heading B, then green/white, green, orange/white, orange under the heading A. then on the right hand side,4 more connections with, again descending, blue, blue/white, white/brown, brown.

wiz-king 17:19 16 Oct 08
  barryhodges 17:21 16 Oct 08

Thanks for your help - those are the four I have connected, but it doesn't work. could it be because I have used external BT Cable, rather than cat5 or 6?

barryhodges 17:26 16 Oct 08

about 110 metres

barryhodges 17:36 16 Oct 08

that is a pity. what about boosting the wireless signal? i have tried the latest bt hub and that is not strong enough

barryhodges 17:48 16 Oct 08

or those things that are plugged into the wall?

Rahere 18:13 16 Oct 08

The only thing that might come close is cat6 cable which is expensive - BT cable is no use at all for your purposes.

What about a homeplug system - this uses the mains wiring in your house to create a network and will be faster than wireless...

barryhodges 18:54 16 Oct 08

thanks Rahere - how does a homeplug work? do I plug it into the mobile home plugs - they come off the same mains?

Rahere 20:17 16 Oct 08

Yes they use the wiring in your house - have to be on the same circuit so check that. Homeplugs use a mains socket - they have an ethernet socket on the front - plug one near your router connect the router to the homeplug with a ethernet cable.

Plug another homeplug in the mains in the room where you want to work connect the computer to the homeplug with a ethernet cable.

there's usually a code to connect establish a link between them and you can buy/add more plugs most brands work ok with each other

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017