RJ45 Network cable poor connection in Router

Flopper 19:49 11 Dec 05

I have a lengthy network cable running from my son's bedroom to my Netgear router in the loft where my PC is but the 'retaining clip' (not sure of the technical term) has broken off and I/we keep getting the 'network cable is unplugged' message pop up on my screen. The network cables seem to be a poor fit in the router generally but rather than try to run a fresh lenght of cable through the conduit which could be difficult, is there on the market a network cable extender, with both a female and a male end so I can secure somehow the 'clipless' end of the cable in the female end and run the male end into the router. Failing that is there an adaptor of some sort and if so what is it/what are they called?

LastChip 21:03 11 Dec 05

Why not use a RJ45 Coupler click here and then a new cable?

Where the suspect cable goes into the coupler, you could securely tape it so it wont move. Not ideal, but may solve your problem.

The ideal way, is to cut off the faulty connector and fit a new one. But you need knowledge of the wiring and a crimping tool, plus it's "fiddly".

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Studio vs iMac 5K comparison review: Apple and Microsoft all-in-one PCs battle it out

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Social media image sizes, specs and aspect ratios: the ultimate guide

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…