RJ45 crossover connection

pppaaarrrkkk 01:21 03 Jul 06

To connect 2 PCs using an RJ45 crossover cable, do I need zero, one or two ethernet cards.

Five years ago, I could connect two PCs very easily for file sharing using a serial or parallel cable. Why is it more complicated now ?

Thanks.

P.s. Also I use Linux.

AndySD 01:48 03 Jul 06

You need one ethernet card in each pc (but a lot of newer motherboards have a network socked built in now)

Pamy 13:25 03 Jul 06

If you want to use RJ45 plugs then you need something to plug them into, hence an ethernet card on each machine,OR each machine has a built in (on board lan) connection or built in lan on one and ethernet card in other.

ade.h 15:45 03 Jul 06

"Why is it more complicated now ?"

Umm, it's not. Basic networking - even P2P - is easier now than it has ever been. Maybe it's just because Ethernet is new to you, in which case, you'll get used to it.

pppaaarrrkkk 20:27 03 Jul 06

Okay. Thanks for responses. I'll get a few network cards.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…