Rivarts.A Trojan

playmofire 15:22 23 Mar 06

A Microsoft AntiSpyware scan showed up something called Rivarts.A and rated as serious. I suspect it came in through MSN Messenger which I downloaded yesterday. It doesn't show up when I scan with Spybot Search and Destroy, or AdAware or XoftSpy (which claims to be bale to remove it!) or BT Yahoo Anti-spy, SpyWareDoctor or Avast anti-virus. I've got ZoneAlarm Pro running and SpywareBlaster as well, so how it got in I don't know. When I remove it with Microsoft Antipyware, it just returns next time I start my laptop. Any ideas, please?

rawprawn 15:38 23 Mar 06

Panda say their online scan will get rid of it
click here if that doesnt work, turn off system restore(you will lose all past restore point) and boot into Safe Mode. Scan again with MS Antispyware and delete it again, then reboot. Don't forget to turn system restore back on.

playmofire 17:25 23 Mar 06

Panda proved a resounding flop. I downloaded the file but when extracting it avast detected a virus in it. Having dealt with that, a scan by Panda said no problems but Microsoft AntiSpyware said there was.
I've tried rebooting in safe mode, but unfortunately the instructions for rebooting bear no relation to what happens on my laptop after ;point 2 "Click START.."!

If anyone can point me to instructions on rebooting in safe mode, I'd be grateful. (I think clicking on F12 during reboot might be the way, and I'm going to try that.)

Jakey boy 17:28 23 Mar 06

It should be F8. Keep tapping it until you get the list of options, and select "Safe Mode". Hope this helps.

rawprawn 17:34 23 Mar 06

Follow Jakey boy's instructions for Safe Mode, don't forget to turn system restore off (System Restore/System Restore Settings/Tick the box Turn off system restore.Don't forget to turn it back on!

playmofire 19:00 23 Mar 06

I followed things through and did a reboot in safe mode after turning off system restore. MS¬AntiSpyware said no problems found which seemed strange. A reboot and run of MS AntiSpyware came up with Rivarts.A again.

VoG II 19:02 23 Mar 06

Download Ewido Anti-Malware trial version click here

When installing, under 'Additional Options' untick 'Install background guard' and 'Install scan via context menu'.

Launch Ewido by double clicking the icon on your desktop. The program will now go to the main screen. You will need to update Ewido to the latest definition files. On the left hand side of the main screen click update then click on Start Update.

Then select 'Settings'. Under the bottom section 'What to Scan?' make sure 'Scan every file' is ticked. Select 'OK' and you will return to scanning options. Click on Complete System Scan and the scan will begin. This scan can take quite a while to run.

While the scan is in progress, you will be prompted to clean the first infected file it finds. Choose 'Clean' (or 'Delete' if 'Clean' is not an option). Then put a tick next to 'Perform action on all infections'. Doing this enables the scan to proceed automatically until its completion. Click OK.

aca 21:50 23 Mar 06

I too have found same, Rivarts.A

same problem it returns even when removed by MS Spyware (in safe mode)

Ewido doesnt find it, had Trojan Hunter running and this missed it, any other ideas for removing?

playmofire, any joy?

VoG II 21:53 23 Mar 06

If Ewido doesn't zap it download and run HJT click here then post the log at the Malware Removal forum click here

playmofire 22:27 23 Mar 06

I found Trojan Hunter missed it too, as did Ewido. I'll try VoG's idea.

aca 22:53 23 Mar 06

snap

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

New iOS 11 release date rumours UK | new features coming to Siri, FaceTime, Messages and Video