RIS Disaster!! Help needed

sam1981 15:22 14 Apr 04

I've got 12 new Dell machines and decided to use RIS to install them.

They'll all need the same programs as each other so I created one machine with all the required programs and the latest patches. I then used riprep to copy the image to the RIS server.

All seemed to go ok and it copied over fine.

I then installed a compatible NIC (the on-board NICs aren't recognised by the RIS boot floppy) and began the remote installation. It installed fine, but when the new machines boot up, I enter the product key and registration info, but then it accepts it and reboots and then goes through the process all over again, so the machine never properly boots up!

Worst of all, the original machine that I made the image from is doing the same thing, so I'll have to start completely from scratch to get it working.

Anyone know how I can get over this prob?

spikeychris 19:27 14 Apr 04

"but then it accepts it and reboots and then goes through the process all over again, so the machine never properly boots up!" are the machines trying to activate themselves?

You have installed an NIC, have you copied the.inf and .sys files for the network adapter to the RemoteInstall\Setup\Language\Images\Dir_name\i386 folder?

Are they OEM? if they are then it can be that you might need a volume License CD with the appropriate VL agreement. A VL versions of Windows XP does not have a Product Activation requirement.

Whats eventvwr.msc throwing up? if its The Operating System Image You Selected Does Not Contain the Necessary Drivers for Your Network Adapter. Try Selecting a Different Operating System Image. If the Problem Persists, Contact Your System Administrator.
click here

Theres another but I doubt its relevant click here

sam1981 09:21 15 Apr 04

Hmmm, I did build it with a OEM Disc, never thought it might be a problem.

I'll try a VL version.

Cheers for the tips!

sam1981 16:01 15 Apr 04

Built a new machine with a volume licencing disc this time.

Ran sysrep as I had been advised by a friend, then ran riprep again.

Even did it on a different RIS server, but it's done the same thing as before!!

I did use an OEM version of office on the image, though I doubt this could cause this prob...

spikeychris 16:05 15 Apr 04

What system s running the server?

sam1981 16:06 15 Apr 04

You mean OS?

If so, 2003 server.

spikeychris 20:04 15 Apr 04

Sorry, the speed of your response prevented me picking it up....

First of all you need to add the OEM Driver.... click here so you should have to stop BINLSVC using command c:\net stop
BINLSVC and start BINLSVC using command
c:\net start BINLSVC.

You will have to create on the same level as your I386 folder an $OEM$ folder then
inside this folder create $1 folder then inside that create Drivers
Directory then NIC directory. eg.
(\RemoteInstall\Setup\English\Images\winxp.pro\$OEM$\$1\Drivers\NIC )

Under the templates directory
(Remoteinstall\Setup\\Images\\I386\Templates\Ristndrd.sif) edit the
*.sif file to include these lines:

DriversSigningPolicy = Ignore
OemPreinstall = yes
OemPnpDriversPath = \Drivers\Nic

On the RIS server copy the E1000NT5.sys and Net8254x.inf from the NIC
directory ( \$OEM$\$1\Drivers\NIC ) to the

Now Stop and Start BINLSVC service.

Try again

spikeychris 20:05 15 Apr 04

BTW the above is for 2K advanced server

sam1981 09:28 16 Apr 04

Quick Q before I look into this, the NIC I installed (a 3COM 3C905C-TX-M) is on the HCL and does install the RIS image on the other machines it's just they can't get out of the windows setup loop that I described earlier once they boot up. Just wondering why you think this is a problem with the NIC driver?

Cheers for the help so far!

spikeychris 11:04 16 Apr 04

Could be wrong it might be something totally different but a lot of RIS issues do point to driver problems.

Good luck and let us know how you get on

Not back till Monday Atfernoon......

sam1981 11:05 16 Apr 04

OK I created the $OEM$\$1\Drivers\NIC directory and copied the driver sys file and inf file into it. I then copied them into the I386 folder too.

(As a side note, the NIC is an onboard Intel pro 10/100, the sys file is e100b325.sys and the inf file is q100b325.inf)

Then I edited the ripref.sif with the lines you specified and restarted the BINLSVC.

I took out the additional network card I had previously installed and booted with the rbfg boot floppy, but just got an error to say that it could not find a supported netowrk card.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…