Ripping cds in WMP

gudda96 13:39 17 Dec 06

When I insert an audio cd to rip, why does the column in WMP show as Unknown artist and not named.

Can I insert name before ripping

Totally-braindead 13:42 17 Dec 06

It doesn't display the name because it doesn't know the name. If you connect to the internet and allow media player access then it should be able to identify it.

gudda96 14:33 17 Dec 06

Totally-braindead

I am what your name says but I must ask, if the name is on the cd, how does connecting to the i/n help.

What i am trying to do is rip bought cd's to my music/WMP (do they save at the same time).

I then want to cherry pick the best tracks and make a playlist in WMP and from there a complilation.

I am now hearing from some audio techies that memory sticks/mp3's are taking over from cd's because of bulk, its all moving too fast for me.

I was wondering that if I can fit ABOUT 15 tracks onto a cd, (A) how many could fit onto a dvd and (B) I heard there is a prog called Toast that would enable me to do so.

Stuartli 16:21 17 Dec 06

>how does connecting to the i/n help.how does connecting to the i/n help.>>

Because the information stored on the CD directs it to the required source on a database about the artiste(s) and tracks.

>>I am now hearing from some audio techies that memory sticks/mp3's are taking over from cd's>>

It's been happening for some considerable time.

You can get up to around 20 tracks of "standard" CD tracks on a 700MB blank CD-R or many more times that in MP3 form.

gudda96 16:26 17 Dec 06

stuartl

I understand now, so what do i need to do to direct burn procedure to have the cd named?

And can you answer the 2 questions I posted, if you can please.

(A) how many could fit onto a dvd and (B) I heard there is a prog called Toast that would enable me to do so.

TonyM 16:43 17 Dec 06

Think of it as minutes per CD (tracks can be very variable in length).

1CD = 700Mb
CD audio is about 10Mb of data per minute
so = 70 minutes on a standard Audio CD.

MP3 is usually about 1Mb per minute, so = 700 minutes of music on a standard CD (but you won't be able to play it in a most normal CD players in your Hi-Fi or car, unless they accept the MP3 format).

A DVD is 4.7Gb, so you can fit about 7 times as much as a CD.

"Toast" is one of many CD/DVD writing programmes you can buy which could do this job , but there are many others...e.g. Nero, Roxio and of course you can write CD's using WIndows Media PLayer

gudda96 16:52 17 Dec 06

TonyM

So if I rip a cd and save it as MP3, I cannot play it in a car or usual radio/cd's like a ghetto blaster. I have just ripped one and saved as an mp3 (usually its cda) and it plays in my radio downstairs?

But I should be able to play it in my laptop yes?

Yes I know I can/and do burn cd's using Nero, but are there any freen progs for burning dvd's?

And lastly, should I be able to play a cd in my tv/dvd player.

Stuartli 17:58 17 Dec 06

I don't use the XP burner as I use Nero for both CDs and DVDs.

You can play MP3 disks in a car providing you have a radio/CD unit that will accept them; Halfords offer JVC and other makes' units from around £79 upwards.

Most recent DVD players should also play them.

Stuartli 18:01 17 Dec 06

In Windows Media Player, on the bottom right of the main panel you should spot the means to collect album information.

Click on it and this will be downloaded from the database; click Finish and it will be stored in the playlist and, from then on, provide the tracks and artiste(s) information on the WMP screen each time you insert the CD.

Stuartli 18:03 17 Dec 06

Also see:

click here

for information purposes.

gudda96 18:12 17 Dec 06

Stuartl

I cant see what you say in bottom right of my wmp.
have downloaded that plug in, why was it needed.

(I don't use the XP burner as I use Nero for both CDs and DVDs.)>>>>(A) dont know why you say this? and (B) are you saying that you can burn cd's in Nero?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…