RIP CD-ROM?

Jason-211945 16:47 26 Feb 04

I have two CD Drives (one standard CD-ROM the other a CD Writer).

My daughter pushed the CD-ROM drawer closed (quite forcibly) and now I can't get it to open. When I power on the PC, it makes a dodgy whirring noise. Is it dead or do you think I can salvage it. I'm quite happy (and able) to pull it out and start tinkering if theres a chance, but it sounds pretty final to me! It's not the end of the world as I have the other drive, just annoying!

BarryKeith 17:31 26 Feb 04

It can probably be fixed, but you will have to open it up and remove the CD-tray as it sounds as though the tray is in the wrong location on the gear train due to being forced to jump the gears. It's not that difficult, but you need to look carefully to see exactly how it operates so that you can reset it in the correct position. You're not the only one to suffer this problem.

GANDALF <|:-)> 17:36 26 Feb 04

Ebuyer are flogging LiteOn 48x/52x CDRoms for £6.99.

G

Sheila-214876 17:56 26 Feb 04

Straighten out a paperclip and insert it into the little hole you should see on the front panel of the CD drive and gently push it in. This should release the draw and enable you to physically pull it open to it's fullest extent. Now press the eject button to close it. Check to see if it now opens normally, it it does problem fixed. If not, New Drive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…