Ringing phone

the hick 16:40 16 Nov 06

When connecting my new PC to phone socket (dial-up), the phone rings continuously. Anyone know why this hoould happen?

postie24 16:57 16 Nov 06

There must be a short in the cable or in the socket itself,its causing an open circuit making the phone ring

bof:) 16:57 16 Nov 06

hi have you put the filter between the phone socket and your pc? Do you also have a filter on your phone?

Mike

Gongoozler 17:07 16 Nov 06

This is a very strange one! A short in the cable won't cause the problem, and a dial-up modem doesn't need filters.
There is probably a telephone expert on the forum, but as far as I know the telephone line normally sits at 48V dc. To make your phone ring, the exchange changes this to an ac signal at about 25Hz. For your modem to make the phones ring, it would have to put an ac signal on the line. I can't see how anything other than a fault condition in the modem can make this happen.

Graham. 17:11 16 Nov 06

The wires on tags 2 and 5 are reversed. Change them round. If it is an extension socket, tag 2 should be connected to tag 2 on all sockets. Likewise tag 5.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…