The right search engine ?

birkdalite 18:03 06 May 03

A friend who does not have a computer,wants me to find information re British cavalry regiments since the amalgamation and regrouping which took place in 1955. It is proving a lot more difficult than I thought, has anyone any suggestions as to search engine etc. please?

barrie_g 18:06 06 May 03

google is the best search engine at present, though I think that it is one of those searchs that is going to throw up a lot of hits and I'm afraid about the only way to do it is to slowly work your way through the list.

i agree that google is the best and fastest,
type in british+cavalry+regiments with the plus signs so that it will only find the links with all three words. as barrie says you are still going to have loads ofinfo to wade through

have fun H.

tbh72 18:16 06 May 03

you can further enhance the results by rejecting those which are irrelivant.

"british +calalry +regiments -irrelivant fact01 -irrelevant fact02....."

Totally-braindead 18:21 06 May 03

Try Webferret as well, available as a free download from ferretsoft.com. I find it excellent.

Ironman556 18:23 06 May 03

use a +word to find both words

use a -word to filter out results with word in

use "word" to find phrases as you type them

I find the best way is to keep trying different combinations.

You could also try click here not as good as google, but you may get some good results.

barrie_g 18:35 06 May 03

try click here hope it helps it seems to list most if not all of the uk regiments gives links to websites for each and gives a brief discription which seems to mention about the 1993 amalgamations

Magik™ 18:37 06 May 03

most search engines are listed here

click here

birkdalite 16:39 07 May 03

Thank you all very much with your help I was able to find click here which gave exactly the answer required.THanks again. Roy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…