Is this the right Kit?

jimd 12:50 24 Jan 09

Hi
simple help please, don't know if I have the right equipment.
pc running windows XP sp3
broadband connection 8Mbps
use cam online, normal 3 bed house , don't need external coverage.

Local telecom shop ( they are also the service provider ISP)sold me a Netgear wireless G starter kit DGB111G

Is this what I need or should I get one that does wireless N?

Jim

mgmcc 16:35 24 Jan 09

That should be fine to get you started with wireless networking. The kit includes Netgear's DG834G router, which is one of the most popular and reliable models.

Using 802.11n kit instead of 802.11g would only be advantageous if you were regularly transferring large files wirelessly between computers in your home network. For your internet, which runs at the relatively slow speed (in networking terms) of only 8Mbps, a 54Mbps wireless connection is more than adequate.

Tech Guy 17:03 24 Jan 09

8meg BB conection is a standard BB speed for most of the country on a BT line, and is not
all that slow.

If you can afford the upgrade to N, I would get it as it has a better range, as with G further you go from the router the slower the connection. So if the router is on the ground floor at the front of the house and the computer is at the top floor at the back of the house you will prob run at 11Mbps.

Also as streaming is getting more common, faster the better. As with anything in the computer world if you can always go for as big and fast as you can afford.

P.S. I have N with a 16 Mb connection and is as fast in the garage as in the house.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac