Right clicking gone wrong

heidelberg 22:07 06 Sep 05

In the last day or two The "right click" function when looking at the My Computer drive folders - for example C, D, H, etc - which refer to the hard drive, DVD re-writer, USB drive etc. has stopped functioning.

I am no longer able to look look at properties and see how much space is available, or rename, for example the card reader.

Instead the "hour glass" remains for some time, then the computer either shuts down, or nothing happens and the hour glass stops.

Any suggestions?

Dave

Adam87 22:27 06 Sep 05

What version of windows are you using?

Adam87 22:35 06 Sep 05

Maybe run antivirus, spyware remover, adware remover etc?? they may help. not too sure what could be doing it though.

Thalmus 22:41 06 Sep 05

Check the registry

click here

woodchip 22:50 06 Sep 05

Sounds like MBR corrupt

woodchip 22:52 06 Sep 05

Try running check disc from My computer on the Drive

heidelberg 04:13 07 Sep 05

Thanks for all responses.

The version is XP pro.

I run Norton Internet Security, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, Ad-Aware and MS AntiSpyware all regularly (2 or 3 times a week.) Registry Mechanic also runs on every startup - which I believe is what the site is recommending that you suggest Thalmus.

I'll try running check disc, Woodchip.

The right click problem only affects the context menus on the My Computer drive folders. On all others all seems to be OK.

Thanks again

Dave

heidelberg 04:15 07 Sep 05

Woodchip how do I run check disc from My computer on the Drive?

Dave

woodchip 12:19 07 Sep 05

You may have the problem also on What I posted above, So try it this Way. In the Run Box, type C:\WINDOWS\System32\chkdsk.exe then press enter. Choose drive like C:\ to run it on

keith-236785 16:08 07 Sep 05

try a system restore back to a time before the problem arose, click start/all programs/accessories/system tools/system restore

if still no luck you could try the sfc /scannow option click start/run and type

sfc /scannow

note the space after sfc it is important. you will need the windows xp disc to run this as it replaces any missing or corrupt system files.

if this completes (takes a while) without any messages then your system was ok and no files have been altered.

good luck.

Klof Ron 16:18 07 Sep 05

Go to click here and scroll to line 56 look at the right hand pane. Download the "Enable" VB script and run it. A word of caution, back up your registry before doing this, also your NS security may give a warning about running scripts, this is normal just run the script.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…