Right click on Start Tab

jbaker65 10:29 10 Feb 05

I used to open up my start file by right clicking on the start tab and then clicking 'open' Today I tried to do this and found 'Open' and 'Explore' were greyed out. Can anyone tell me how to get this function back?

Diodorus Siculus 10:31 10 Feb 05

Depends on the OS you are using and any tweaking software you may have installed.

As a first option, try the system file checker

start

run

sfc

jbaker65 11:07 10 Feb 05

I'm running Win 98se. I've tried sfc with no luck. I can of course still get to the start up program file via explorer but if possible I would like to get the original option back.

jbaker65 11:22 16 Feb 05

bump

jbaker65 09:42 24 Feb 05

^

Diodorus Siculus 10:16 24 Feb 05

Boot into dos mode

at the C:\ prompt type:

scanreg /fix

This will at least fix any minor problems with the registy which may be a cause.

Have you installed any tweaking programs, such as TweakUI?

jbaker65 12:55 24 Feb 05

Thanks Diodorus, tried that and system file check. Yes I have tweak UI. I'm sure a complete re-install over the existing OS would fix it, but I don't particularly go down that route.

jbaker65 15:43 24 Feb 05

I've now found an article (188209)on Microsoft support site which relates this problem to tweakUI. Unfortunately I don't have tweakUI on my computer and if I try to install it it comes up with another problem about kernel32.dll I think I'll just forget it and put it down to another of Windows idiosyncrosies.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…