right click menu - open has disappeared from menu

nissanalmera 15:00 PM 04 Nov 12

Hi,I have windows xp service pack 3. Just recently open has disappeared from top of right click menu for SOME shortcuts but not others.(very confusing)Can this be rectified? Thank you.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:59 PM 04 Nov 12

Sounds like it lost it file association for some files.

For those programs affected right click select properties - shortcut tab what is showing in the target box? navigate to the target file and eneter in the target box

Paint - C:\windows\system32\mspaint.exe

nissanalmera 18:37 PM 04 Nov 12

Sorry,but it will not let me put back slashes etc in shortcut icons affected

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:08 PM 04 Nov 12

Do you have an open with option on the right click menu for each short cut?

if so browse to the location of the file and click to re-associate with the short cut.

nissanalmera 19:14 PM 04 Nov 12

Thanks Fruit Bat,That is the problem.Some shortcuts ok open at top of right click menu and others all with print at head of list and no open.My simple nuisance answer is to drag them onto the likes of google chrome and they open there.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:09 PM 05 Nov 12

What sort of files are they?

some scripts for associating files in XP can be found here

nissanalmera 19:29 PM 05 Nov 12

Thank you very much for continued interest Fruit Bat.I'm afraid I do not know what I am looking for.All I can say is some shortcuts ie to browsers and favourite sites open ok while others (it seems randomly to me) do not and have this 'print' as first item on list instead of open as first. And those I have to drag to browser window to open.Would it do any harm to try the likes of folder fix? Thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:45 PM 05 Nov 12

Are we talking desktop shortcuts or things in your browsers favourites list?

nissanalmera 20:01 PM 05 Nov 12

Thanks.It is desktop shortcuts Browsers favourites are ok.

lotvic 20:51 PM 05 Nov 12

When you have the page open in your browser, I would try making a new shortcut to the webpage and then delete the old one that doesn't have the open on r/click menu.

To make new desktop shortcut to a webpage, just drag the favicon (website icon at the left of the url) to your desktop.

nissanalmera 21:11 PM 05 Nov 12

I dragged a few on to desktop but still remained shotened right click with no open as first

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Android apps 2015/2016: Best apps for your new phone or tablet - what apps should I download?

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Uniqlo uses your brain waves to find your perfect T-shirt

What everyone thinks of the new Steve Jobs movie | 21 Facts about the Steve Jobs film | PLUS:…