Right-Click causes lockup in WinXP Home

WightRob 00:53 14 Oct 05

I am running Win XP Home on a family computer with several users. Some users are fine but for some, right clicking in Win Explorer or on the desktop causes complete lockup. The only way to get out of it is to use the Task Manager to end the process or log off.
Any ideas?

Dan the Doctus 01:10 14 Oct 05

click here may help.

WightRob 16:35 14 Oct 05

Thanks Dan the Doctus,

Seems to be some intersting stuff on that Ramesh site. I'm working through the instructions but I have a couple of general queries that someone may be able to help me with. I'm running WinXP Home (SP2).

1. Is there only one registry on one system so any changes affect all users, (rather than a different one for each user account)?

2. If I make changes to the registry, either directly or through software, are the changes made immediately or do I need to reboot?

gudgulf 16:57 14 Oct 05

Check if the users who have problems have a program called Dr.DivX installed.....it comes with some of the DivX media codec packs.

There is a known issue with this program and right clicking in explorer with a complete lock up as a result.

WightRob 10:07 15 Oct 05

Thanks for your help folks, especially Dan the Doctus. The problem seemed to be caused by a bad Context Menu Handler as pointed out in the Ramesh website. I downloaded and ran the ShellExView program and disabled the handlers as instructed. I have run a few checks and everything seems OK now.
It also seems to have cured another problem which was the system locking up when switching users.

Thanks
Rob

Dan the Doctus 12:49 15 Oct 05

Glad it's sorted - it's a good site and always seems to do the job for right click problems. As for your queries:

1. I think some parts of the registry relate to the system as a whole, and some parts relate to individual users. How it all works though is beyond me and Google may be your best bet for finding the answer.

2. When you make changes to the registry sometimes you need to reboot and sometimes not - I tend to reboot anyway just to be on the safe side.

WightRob 20:56 15 Oct 05

Thanks Dan!

When I've got time I'll check it all out.

Trouble is I never seem to find the time until something goes wrong!

Cheers.

WightRob 20:07 13 Jan 06

Thanks for the information folks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…