Riddle of the Cursed AVI

Amry 10:56 30 Jan 03

I got a problem that's been bugging me for days...

Around two weeks ago, I acquired an AVI file, with a file size of around 250MB. I am pretty sure it's encoded in DIVX format, so I tried to open it. But then, Windows Media Player displays a message box, saying something about "unknown error" (it didn't crash, though).

Now here's the strange part. All of a sudden, my system slows to a crawl. It will take 5 - 10 seconds for my Start menu to react, my Windows Explorer has an extremely slow refresh rate... you get the picture. Why is this happening?

I also have several other DIVX movies of around the same size, given to me by my brother, and WMP also shows the same error message. However, after using the DIVX Fixer, WMP played it just fine. Can anyone explain the slowdown?

This is the specs of my PC :
Athlon 1.6GHz
Windows XP Home Ed. + SP1
1024MB RAM
80GB HDD, split into 3 partitions; the one with the video files have around 30GB free, the one with the Windows have around 2.4GB free.

64MB GeForce3 Ti500
Windows Media Player 9 + optional encoding utility + codec
DivX codec version 3.11, 5.03b

Thank you.

Gongoozler 11:11 30 Jan 03

Amry, does this sound familiar? click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…