Rich word document

bob308w 18:46 27 Dec 05

I have scanned a document and saved it in 'my documents' as a rich word document. What have I done wrong, that I cannot now edit it? I have just bought a new scanner (epson cX6600), and this only applies to documents since using it, documents that I saved previously,with another printer are fine.

bob308w 18:56 27 Dec 05

should have added that I saved them from scanner to notepad.

bob308w 18:57 27 Dec 05

Got that wrong as well, saved docs into my documents, and opened them in notepad!

Forum Editor 19:02 27 Dec 05

it ceases to be a document in its original form, and becomes an image - just like a photo, or a graphic.

You say that you saved this file as a Rich Text file (not rich word), but I'm puzzled as to how you did that if you were scanning a paper document.

Perhaps you can explain more fully?

bob308w 19:12 27 Dec 05

It is a rich text file. I scanned it and saved it to my 'documents', opened document with wordpad (not notepad). Why is it that I can open and edit other documents but not the ones that I have saved since using the new printer, how should I save them so as to allow editing?

VoG II 19:20 27 Dec 05

You need Optical Character Recognition (OCR) software to scan a document in and convert it to text. Normally a suitable OCR program is bundled with scanners. For example I have Omnipage.

bob308w 19:22 27 Dec 05

I have just checked and the docs that I can edit are not scans, they are word documents.
Now...is it possible in any way to edit a scanned document ?

bob308w 19:25 27 Dec 05

I have just looked and can find no reference to OCR in the scanner files. Is there a programme that I can buy to do this?

VoG II 19:32 27 Dec 05

click here is an example but you may be able to get something cheaper if you look around. click here seems to be free.

bob308w 19:43 27 Dec 05

Many thanks, VoG, now I know what I need, praps I'll take a trip to PCWorld in the morning, see if they have a sale on !

DieSse 21:27 27 Dec 05

Your scanner will almost certainly have come with an OCR program on the bundled CD. Have a look and read the documentation.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…