Ribbon Cable and slave drive

consultik 14:20 26 Mar 04

I'm adding a new DVD rewriter to a PC with one Hard drive ,a DVD ROM and a CD Rewriter (so there is one connector left on one of the ribbon cables). The Hard drive is attached to the end of the primary cable with nothing attached to the middle. Can I attach the Hard drive to the middle (and still keep it as the master) and attach the end to the new Rewriter as a slave (I want to do this as otherwise the cable is not long enough) or does the master always have to be at the end of the cable?

Megatyte 14:25 26 Mar 04

The master should always be at the end. Can you switch your drives in the bays to make the cable fit? If not you can buy longer cables.

consultik 14:47 26 Mar 04

Thanks Megabyte, that was the answer I was expecting! I suspect I could spend ages shuffling the drives and still not get the cable to stretch, so I'll go shopping.

TBH1 15:49 26 Mar 04

why not just replace yor cd writer with your dvd writer ?

stlucia 16:19 26 Mar 04

While you're at it, you can get round cable instead of the flat ribbon one, which might make it easier to fit.

bremner 16:59 26 Mar 04

As your DVD writer also writes CD's why not ditch just ditch the CD writer and just use the connections for that.

bremner 17:11 26 Mar 04

If you jumper the drives as master and slave it does not matter which drive is connected to which connector.

It is only if both are jumpered as cable select that the master must be on the end connector.

click here

Megatyte 11:29 27 Mar 04

That link sends you to a 3 year old page. Newer drives need 80 conductor cables and the master must go on the end connector.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…