Reverting from IE6 to IE 5.5

P_Ghost5 10:10 29 Jun 04

Hey all, i am having problems getting into some secure sites. i have been told to go back to ie5.5 but i can't seem to remove 6. add/remove windows components but when trying to run 5.5 installation it still sees 6. Does anyone know if there is a removal patch or maybe the registry removal process, although i would like to avoid that.
any help would be great

Mikè 10:12 29 Jun 04

If running XP or ME try a resore point.

Mikè 10:14 29 Jun 04

Obviously should say restore above.

P_Ghost5 11:01 29 Jun 04

Thank you for the reply but there is no previous restore points. Did find lots of adware/spyware etc but still no luck

P_Ghost5 11:01 29 Jun 04

Thank you for the reply but there is no previous restore points. Did find lots of adware/spyware etc but still no luck

Stuartli 11:07 29 Jun 04

Reverting back to IE 5.5 would be a backward step - IE6 is more security conscious.

The problem probably lies in your configuration and/or lack of spyware programs such as AdAware, SpywareBlaster, S and D 1.3 etc.

See here for Microsoft's conmprehensive analysis of IE's configuration, particularly with regard to Security and Privacy, including cookies:

click here

P_Ghost5 11:13 29 Jun 04

Thanx. I used Ad-Aware to remove.
As soon as the specific page starts opening (top bar loads) then whole page goes blank
Went through most browser settings but nothing

Stuartli 12:48 29 Jun 04

I had a similar problem last year and installed Proxomitron - cured it instantly.

If you do install it (click here) you must configure it EXACTLY as stated in the instructions.

There may be the odd occasion when filling in field forms on some websites that you need to temporarily use the Bypass facility.

P_Ghost5 13:14 29 Jun 04

Works like a mini proxy? quite cool, but i don't think the user of this machine would like the extra work... sounds strange i know.
When creating a new user i could access those sites, but still very strange and ISP or microsoft could not help

Stuartli 15:48 29 Jun 04

There's no extra work involved with Proxomitron - it's been a case of install and forget in my case with both Windows 98Se and XP Pro.

P_Ghost5 08:42 30 Jun 04

I will have a look at that, the problem is solved eventually... nobody could help, but strangely enough ran a ad-aware scan in safe mode, Created new account and there you have it. worked like a charm. just had to pull everything from one account to the other and bob's ur uncle.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…