Reversing XP's network connection wizard on W98

Rich84 15:34 30 Oct 03

While trying to connect a new laptop (running XP) to my home network, I ran the XP network connection wizard on my two PCs (both running W98). I have not been able to establish recognition of the laptop by the two PCs and have abandoned this ambition for the time being.
However, I am left with all sorts of rubbish on both PCs relating to ICS. Does anyone no of an antedote to the effects of this wizard?

A_World_Maker 15:48 30 Oct 03

Are you running a router, hub, switch? Is Windows98 the SE version? Do the two PC's connect using an adhoc network and a crossover cable? All these elements effect how a network are setup and operate. ICS = Internet Connection Sharing.

spikeychris 15:49 30 Oct 03
  Rich84 16:11 30 Oct 03

I have just manually changed the IP address for the laptop (it was not a recognised address). As a result of this last change I can now see across the network. However I'm getting firewall alerts for 'run a dll as an app v. 4.10.98' everytime I boot up on the main pc. I'm sure this is to do with ICS. What is it doing? Can I just let it continue or does it need configuring in some way?

spikeychris 16:55 30 Oct 03

To remove IDS.ahh sorry hes already gone, to remove ICS Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
Double-click Add/Remove Programs, and then click the Windows Setup tab.
Click Internet Tools, and then click Details.
Click to clear the ICS check box, and then click OK.

A_World_Maker 17:18 30 Oct 03

Ummm.. if you remove the ICS.... how will you be able to gain access to the internet?????

spikeychris 17:23 30 Oct 03

You can't. He/she would have to enable it again, or use some third party software.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…