reversing OS upgrade

Daxsimus 23:06 11 May 05

Hi, I have a laptop which was running ME, I thought it would be a good idea to update the OS with XP. But since the upgrade I have had nothing but problems and want to revert back to ME or 98 is this possible? Any ideas greatly welcome. Dax

woodchip 23:14 11 May 05

Yes you will have to start from scratch if you did not make a Image of your drive before you made the change. That means you have to get rid of the Partition as XP will write to Partition so it will not let you downgrade

Daxsimus 23:17 11 May 05

Is there a website or something that will be able to give me step by step instructions? Is it easy to do or not worth the hassle? Thanks

woodchip 23:21 11 May 05

how old is the computer

Daxsimus 23:24 11 May 05

5 years old i think.

dan11 23:28 11 May 05

IF you upgraded to XP and did not pick the new installation path. Then you may have the un-install information in add and remove programmes. It should have saved your system files from ME.

Go to add and remove programmes, scroll down to the bottom. Has it got an un-install windows XP entry. If it has, select it and roll back to ME.

If you picked new install or did not save system files, you will have to format.

Daxsimus 23:34 11 May 05

No nothing there so must have been new install. How do I format it?

woodchip 23:42 11 May 05

Right these are what you need to download first, I would put 98se on, if you have the disc and reg key.
First get Kill Disk click here next you need a boot floppy for Win98se tenth file down click here next double click on the download file with a Floppy disc in drive this should create a disc, you need to do that with both downloaded files. Use KillDisk to wipe the Drive contents. Then restart with Win98se Startup Floppy, let it get to A:\> then type FDISK click OK to use all the drive this will make it Fat32 Create a Primarary Partition I think it's number one. Make it Active. now shut the computer of. Restart with Win98 disc and at A:\> type Format C: just click yes and enter at the end when it's formmated the disc. Restart with 98 Floppy disc choose start with CD Rom Support, you should have you Win98se disc in comp when you do this. your CD drive will be E:\ untill you get Windows on so after it as created Ram Drive and got back to A:\> type E:

Now at E:\> type Setup and press enter, after Scandisk as run press X and windows should start to load. You are on your own from this point. Just choose a custom Install so you can make all the changes that you need to. All the Best let me know how you get on.

If you have probs along the way just post or send me a Mail through the little yellow envelope

dan11 23:56 11 May 05

Thats a shame.:-(

Just follow woodchips advice.

If when you are in fdisk and it will not let you create a primary dos partition ( number 1). Then delete any partitions ( number 3 ) that are shown ( number 4 )

Also back up as much as you can before hand. When in kill disk, make sure you select the drive with operating system. Believe it or not, but it has been known that kill disk has been run on the default drive. the "A" disk, wiping the floppy. lol

Daxsimus 23:57 11 May 05

Thanks for all the help. I will give it a go. But I am going to leave it till morning. Make sure im wide awake. Thanks again for all the help.

Daxsimus 00:04 12 May 05

Sorry,thanks to you too.

I will let you know how I get on.
cheers Dax

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…