Reverse Engineering of O/S

€dstow 08:18 19 Mar 03

Fascinating as flecc's modifications of various Windows versions are, it occurs to me that they directly contravene the End User Licence Agreement in respect of reverse engineering.

Most software EULA's contain a phrase that same as or similar to:

"Limitations on Reverse Engineering, Decompilation, and Disassembly.

You may not reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Software Product, except and only to the extent that such activity is expressly permitted by applicable law notwithstanding this limitation."

The above was from the EULA for M$ Office XP. Doubtless the Windows EULA is just as restricting, or more so, than that.

The modifications by flecc do, to my understanding, reverse engineer and/or decompile and/or disassemble the software product and thus break the EULA which is agreed to merely by the fact that the software has been loaded.

As I wrote at the start of this, all due credit to flecc for attempting to break the M$ monopoly in operating system software but at what legal implication?

Just curious and would like to know.

€d

VoG™ 08:46 19 Mar 03

As I understand it, flecc has not reverse engineered or disassembled the OS. He has removed a lot of the bloat, making it much smaller and consequently faster.

Disassembling even a small program is hard enough - I've done it (many moons ago and legally). To disassemble Windows defies the imagination!

€dstow 08:54 19 Mar 03

You omitted "decompile".;-))

€d

VoG™ 08:57 19 Mar 03

That's because I don't really understand the distinction between decompile and disassemble. In any event, I don't think that flecc has done that either.

watchful 09:05 19 Mar 03

decompile - re-arrange (usually text)

disassemble - pull apart (usually machinery)

Fine line.

Mango Grummit 09:05 19 Mar 03

As this is a helproom for people with computer problems, and not a debating society, I expect FE will be along shortly to lock this thread.

VoG™ 09:10 19 Mar 03

disassemble click here

decompile click here

A fine line as you say watchful

€dstow 09:11 19 Mar 03

It is you helping to turn this into a debating society.

I asked what I considered to be a quite reasonable question about a potentially vast improvement over the Windows operating system.

If you cannot find a useful contribution, I suggest you keep your comments to yourself - not before you report me to teacher, of course.

Tenner 18:37 19 Mar 03

Well said, ?d. Self appointed guardians we can do without, this site is for help/assistance ( & dare I say, fun ) Life's too short etc etc.

Regards

barrie_g 18:55 19 Mar 03

but wouldn't it be nice if M$ did a "Lite" version of Windows and then we could just clutter it up with the junk that we WANT on our pc's

woodchip 19:12 19 Mar 03

Flecc as not done any of the above, as it is talking about the code not files as VoG™ said above he as only removed files. AND MSWINDOWS does that on it's own that's why it's such a pain also you would never run any software if altering files was the name of the game as just about all programs load files that have been modified to suite the software program. One of the worst offenders of being changed is MFC42.dll and is known as "DLL Hell" to those in the know

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…