Reverse a change to NTFS system

hypnobiz 13:58 14 Jul 13

Hi when I went to defrag my external HDD I clicked on check for disk errors, there's usually one thing ticked about checking for for and fixing errors, there's also another option about restoring corrupt files, today I decided to click that, after it had been running for over an hour and seemed stuck on 2025 files I clicked on cancel. I found out then that my drive has changed to NTFS format and I cannot get access to it, like many people i save all my most important files on my external drive including thousands of confidential client files. Is there a way to restore my drive back to the way it was? would that have been FAT32?

Woolwell 14:11 14 Jul 13

OS?

Surprised that it changed format without prompting.

Is another back up version available? I wouldn't rely on one external hard drive. I have had one fail on me and I use 2 for back ups alternating between them.

hypnobiz 14:38 14 Jul 13

My OS is Windows 7 uses NTFS on c drive. the button i clicked that i don't usually actually said, scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors. it found 1024 files and i clicked continue then went back to pc over and over but once it had 'fixed' or 'recovered' (on screen) 2025 files the progress bar never moved so after an hour and a half i clicked cancel.

I found a prog that says it changes NTFS to FAT32 (I am only assuming that was what the file system was previously but don't know) But after installing it my External drive doesn't show up now to be able to choose it for the file change.

Woolwell 14:42 14 Jul 13

I would have thought that your external drive was NTFS originally. Make and model of that would help. I have a horrible feeling that your drive may have failed. I hope not and a person more knowledgeable than me may be able to help.

hypnobiz 16:07 14 Jul 13

Hi, I tried the old adage of 'Switch it off and on again' and external drive is back to normal.... I think it still could be safer to buy a new one though.

rdave13 16:16 14 Jul 13

I'll go with Woolwell that it most probably was NTFS originally. Try going to disk management, find the drive, then right click. Select 'Change drive letter and paths.. '. In the pane that opens click on the 'change' tab. The dot should be already on 'Assign the following drive letter'. Use the drop-down menu to assign a new letter. Try the lower letters (x, y or z). You will get a warning that some installed programs won't run if you change the letter but as it's for backup, then I'd ignore and select 'yes'.

JUST MAKE SURE you don't select the wrong drive. See if that works. This is assuming disk managment 'sees' the drive.

rdave13 16:19 14 Jul 13

That's good. I wasted a good post there... LOL. I'd certainly buy another external but use both to backup all your docs. Even new drives go belly up sometimes.

woodchip 19:54 14 Jul 13

Right click on My Computer Icon on the Desktop then Properties it should tell you the file system if itsd fat32 it cannot read ntfs but if its ntfs it can read both fat32 and ntfs

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…