Rev Ininstaller & Registry Items

johnincrete 12:24 08 Sep 09

I downloaded iMesh & it seemed to be trying to take over my computer (2 Google warnings & several from Spy Ware Doctor) so I tried to uninstall it. Its own uninstaller seemed to be asking too many questions so I used Rev Unistaller. At one point it displayed Registry entries & invited me to select those to be deleted.
How am I to know from a jumble of letters & numbers which to select for deletion?
Or is there a better way?

eedcam 12:31 08 Sep 09

if you meant Revo uninstaller it tells you to only delete the entries in Block lettering but be careful just check they are linked to the software you are uninstalling

johnincrete 12:58 08 Sep 09

Thanks but how do I check that they are linked to the software I am uninstalling?

Technotiger 13:24 08 Sep 09

When using Revo follow these instructions to the letter ...

During the un-install process you may be asked if you want to re-start your computer, DO NOT re-start at this point, let Revo continue. You will eventually get the option to Select All and to Delete - DO SO. You will be given the same options a second time, again DO SO, do not be picky, just accept all that Revo chooses.
After clicking on Finish, re-start your computer.

gigagiggles 18:52 08 Sep 09

hello.

easy there, technotiger. "select all"? are you untamed? "do not be picky"? are you unfed?

revo is a powerful and versatile tool, if wielded intelligently and CAREFULLY.

since imesh is likely apple-related, "select all" may include the baby (all other important apple-related registry entries) with the bath water (imesh-related registry entries). that is a nightmarish calamity, except for delighted apple-haters.

at revo's registry-altering panel/window, begin at the block/bold lettered entry as eedcam recommended. travel down the 'tree' to the next branches and they should also be block/bold lettered. open these branches and look for imesh. there should be at least one registry entry containing the word imesh. if you see ixxxxxx and no imesh, you might be on the wrong "lineage". travel back up the tree to the starting point - the first block/ bold lettered entry. the entry above that should be something generic or corporate. ticking the first box attached to the first block/bold lettered entry will include all descendant entries in the tree. NO NEED TO SELECT ALL. then delete.

revo's program folder and files panel/window may also prove tricky depending on the number of entries left behind by imesh's uninstaller. if you have correctly navigated to this point and there are too many entries, you're better off ignoring this portion, take note of where the entries are grouped together. the usual suspects are program files, programdata, users/%username%/appdata/local, appdata/local/virtualstore and appdata/roaming. finish up revo's process. later, if reboot is necessary, go to where the program was installed and delete the folder(s) that contained the program's remnants.

Technotiger 19:43 08 Sep 09

I have always used Revo exactly as I have described - I have never had any problems, but I have read of others having problems after being 'picky' ... I shall happily continue to do it 'my way' :-))

tullie 19:49 08 Sep 09

Me too

Technotiger 20:14 08 Sep 09

Thanks for the back-up :-))

I shall continue to advise Windows users re Revo in my usual way - 'tis a Grrreat program, based on my own experiences.

Technotiger 20:15 08 Sep 09

Hmmm, dunno where the N7 came from - LoL

johnincrete 05:19 09 Sep 09

Two experts disagreeing. Ain't Windows wonderful!
I've obviously trod where no ignoramus should tread.
How do I backup the registry just in case and how would I restore it if I delete something I shouldn't.

Technotiger 08:11 09 Sep 09

To back up the Registry, simply create a New Restore Point in System Restore.

And to restore it, simply do a System Restore in the normal way, using your self-created Restore Point.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant