Returning Faulty Goods - cost of transportation?

Gary 21:23 04 Mar 03

I want to return some faulty goods to the supplier for a refund. Can anyone tell me who is legally responsible for paying the transport costs on the goods:
a) in the original instance from the supplier to myself; and
b) to return the goods from myself to the supplier?

There is a separate Contract in addition to the Contract of Sale for a 14 day money back guarantee and under it's terms I am responsible for both carriage charges. However, is this still the case if I am not returning the goods though choice but because they are faulty?

Rtus 21:32 04 Mar 03

as the link points out click here it may be the case you may be refunded costs too again down to goodwill of the suppliers...

JimT 21:40 04 Mar 03

Gary

Depends what the original contract says.

If it didn't cover this point then you are responsible for getting the faulty goods back to the supplier.

bfoc 23:27 04 Mar 03

Assuming, as I'm sure it is, the item is faulty then you are legally entitled to have matters rectified so that you are in at least the same position as if the item had not been faulty.

Thus you should not have to pay transport costs for an item which proves faulty fairly soon after purchase.

Of course in a situation where the company wishes to check that the item is faulty they could reasonably ask for a contribution for the carriage costs which would be refunded once the fault was established.

What I am talking about here is Consumer Rights on purchases, and is separate from any individual 'Warranty' details which may extend rights and/or time limits. But such warranties are in addition to and not a replacment for your Stautory rights.

Gary 18:51 05 Mar 03

to everyone who has replied to this posting. I have now contacted the supplier they are sending a courier to collect the goods - I didn't even have to ask - that is apparantly their standard proceedure.

It's interesting to see everyones experiences though, and like you say, it seems to be largely dependant on the manufacturer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…