Returning computer back to when it left the factor

charlton200 21:04 20 Aug 06

Hello,
I have had a few problems with my computer lately and I would like to be prepared in case I decide to restore it back to its factory setting.

I have a mesh computer window xp, and it says to restore it to factory setting press f10.
What I would like to know is what happens as soon as I press f10.
Does it install things like sp2 on it again and all the drivers.
Does it get to any point during the restore that might Leeds me to know what to do next, and as such proberly end up pressing the wrong buttons.

And when I have restored my computer , is the option still there in case I want to do a restore in the future by pressing f10 or once you have used that option once, you can not use it in say a years time.

Many thanks

VoG II 21:12 20 Aug 06

It will restore it to exactly as it was when it left the factory. You will lose all docvuments, programs, e-mails and so on. You can do this as many times as you like.

Strawballs 21:29 20 Aug 06

Yes it will install all the drivers and if it came with SP2 then that will also be there and as VoG™ said you can use it as often as you like.

This leads me to think that your restore factory settings is on the hard drive as a hidden partion I would advise you to read through your handbook to see if you can burn this on to disc just incase anything goes wrong with the hard drive or like a friend of mine got a virus with destroyed some of the files that prevented access to the restore partion.

charlton200 21:47 20 Aug 06

Yes I think it is on the hard drive. I forgot about the handbook completely, I shall have a look at that in the morning.

Is there anything complicated about restoring it that I might mess up or is it straight forward.

Many thanks.

Strawballs 21:54 20 Aug 06

I have done this on a couple of packard bells and it was straight forward when following instructions in handbook, but remember you will loose all programs and data that you have installed yourself and you will need drivers for all hardware and printers/scanners etc that you have added.

Stuartli 22:00 20 Aug 06

You would save a lot of hassle if you are able to do a Repair XP - this will save all your programs, applications, configuration etc. See:

click here

for details.

PS

I wouldn't like to hit F10 in error...:-)

mammak 22:06 20 Aug 06

I will go with Stuartli on this repair xp is the safest way to go back up all your programes first music picks ect and follow Stuartli click here good luck.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…