Returned mail : user unknown from AOL

wlw 12:17 30 Mar 04

I am using MS Outlook Express and XP, I am now receiving almost daily an e-mail message from AOL (not my ISP) a "returned mail:unknown user" message which says I have sent a note to an invalid address, eg [email protected]

Johnsmith varies each time, but in no case have I conciously sent an e-mail to the ID in question.

Does this mean I have a bug which is secretly sending e-mails out to AOL adresses, or is the returned e-mail actually a virus itself.
There is normally no attachment, my Norton is always up-todate, and scans say I have no bugs en-situ.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

WLW

phil.smith 12:21 30 Mar 04

I have been getting the same for a while - also returns from germany and belgium - it is down to a virus - as long as you do not open anything you should be OK - just bin them

Phil

RoosterUK 12:29 30 Mar 04
  RoosterUK 12:34 30 Mar 04

Woops that link didn't work as i expected !

Just go to the symnatec home page, and follow the link for [email protected]

This link should be the homepage

click here

Good Luck

Roy

Sir Radfordin 12:38 30 Mar 04

This normally happens when your address has been used as the 'from' or 'reply-to' field in an email that a virus has created. It is more often than not a virus on someone's computer who has your email in their address book and not from your own account.

wlw 13:04 30 Mar 04

I now find that other domains, eg yahoo, hotmail, etc are involved so this is not AOL specific. I have downloaded the Netsky removal tool, but it has found nothing on my system.

My ISP (ATTGLOBAL) have trapped a number of similar messages in my "greymail" folder,
as we say in Scotland, from 'a the airts' so either many people have my email address, very likely, or I have something unknown to Norton.

Is it worthwhile trying another virus checker, or do McFee, Norton, etc feed off each other and therefore have the same level of knowledge of current bugs?

WLW

johnnyrocker 14:07 30 Mar 04

as earlier posted the virus is reproducing at a rapid rate and is spoofing your address from the pc of someone who has your mail address on their system, at one time i was getting 30 aol returned to my hotmail a/c on a daily basis.

johnnie

wlw 15:14 02 Apr 04

I have now verified I have no virus myself, so I accept that I may be a minor victim of spamming.
My ISP allows me to filter mail at the ISP server level, and I have arranged to reject similar e0mails and this seems to work.

Thanks to all for the various comments and suggestions.

WLW

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…