returned eMails

jbaker65 15:19 06 Jan 05

Recently I have been getting eMails returned to me that I have not sent, with the message that my server does not permit me to relay messages. Does this indicate that someone is trying to send eMails (possibly containing viruses) via my account? I delete them, but I just wondered what is going on.

Xevious 15:41 06 Jan 05

have you got a decent anti-virus installed?

your system may be infected by a virus, which is sending emails from your PC without your knowledge.

scan your system for viruses and spyware!

john-232317 17:46 06 Jan 05

Or somebody elses pc is using your addy to send them out. This happened to my wife, they kept getting bounced back although she never sent any out, all containing a virus. It stopped on its own.

Buchan 35 22:50 06 Jan 05

jbakers65, I cannot give you a "click here " to get a freeware anti virus control or even a spyware programme but someone on this forum can

jbaker65 22:57 06 Jan 05

I'm using AVG 7. It works fine so the problem is not a virus, but some sort of a hacker.

t.long 23:11 06 Jan 05

I have a similar thing, its weird as my computer does not actaly have the necessary details to send emails out - no server details - since I use webmail, to which my other email is forwarded.

Since there is no way my machine can send this emails it must be ether a fault at NTLs end, or some other computer is using my details.

Xevious 09:13 07 Jan 05
  jbaker65 10:38 07 Jan 05

Thanks Xevious, I have Spybot, Adaware, Spyware Blaster and AVG 7 running.

DIYgirl 11:54 07 Jan 05

This same thing happened to me a year or so ago. I ended up getting 5-8,000 emails "returned" to me each day, and had to abandon the email address concerned. It had been hijacked by a spammer. I lost a huge amount of business as a result, but in the end there was nothing I could do but change email addresses.

Sorry to be so negative. You might be wise to set up another email address so that you can at least have it in reserve if this escalates.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…