Returned Email Problems

I have been receiving a lot of mail from various Postmasters, Mail delivery subsystems, Mailer Daemon etc stating that my mail could not be delivered. But I did not send the mail and the sending addresses quoted in the returned mail while similar to mine are not the same. In particular the addesses are a variety of apparently random letters prior to the @ sign then followed by my exact address.
Can anybody explain what is going on and how can stop this endless stream of emails.

silverous 11:08 09 Feb 07

This is unfortunately quite a regular occurence these days.

Someone out there (a spammer) is sending spam email with your email address as the 'from' address.

It is very easy to do and it means that all the bounces (where they have sent emails to invalid addresses for example) will bounce back to the 'spoofed' from address i.e. you.

There's little you can do about it other than protect your email address to whatever degree you can so the spammers don't get it in the first place.

If you are [email protected] you are going to struggle to do that!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…