Return to XP

SparkyJack 10:23 14 Jun 14

Several computers,each a Linux O/S hus each with a printer connexion issue,which is solvable but in a limited way to connect to either of two printers. To solve this I decideded to return one of the computers to XP to act as a 'print centre for all. The installation works fine.

How ever as it is a 'new install ' it is asking for registration within 30 days. As XP is no longer supported, and the computer is not on line anyway,what is the likely out come on day 31?

Jollyjohn 10:57 14 Jun 14

On day 31 I think you will be stuck. You will get a message "You must activate Windows before you can log in"

Simply connect the pc to the internet, activate windows, and disconnect from internet.

You can still get updates fro XP but be aware you will need to download and install Internet Explorer 8, before XP will connect to Microsoft servers.

If you want to keep this PC connected, use Firefox as default browser, keep antivirus up to date and it will be fine.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:54 14 Jun 14

If you do not want it to connect to the internet then:

To contact a Microsoft customer service representative to activate Windows by phone, follow these steps:

Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click Activate Windows.

Or, click the Windows Activation icon in the notification area.

Click Yes, I want to telephone a customer service representative to active Windows now.

Click Read the Windows Product Activation Privacy Statement, click Back, and then click Next.

Follow the steps in the Activate Windows by phone dialog box, and then click Next.

Note The number appears now and differs based on the location that you select.

When activation is completed and you receive the following message, click OK.

You have successfully activated your copy of Windows.

Jollyjohn 15:04 14 Jun 14

Was about to the phone option....

If you use a mobile you get the option to have the activation code sent as a text message.

SparkyJack 19:01 14 Jun 14

Well now all is well .....QI hope When the next 'activate message came up, gave it a go on LAN

Reading the blurb first line read ''Registration is optional not registering will not affect the working of the PC' so I didn't

Roll on day 131 Will it be 'doooom';-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…