Return laptop to touch instead of mouse

kimtrnc 10:49 AM 02 Jul 11

I have used a mouse on my laptop for some time, but now need to use to finger touch. Absolutely know that it only needs a couple of Fkeys, but can't remember which. Can someone help my stupid senility, please?

Zurdo 11:40 AM 02 Jul 11

I use a mouse on my laptop and if I disconnect it the touchpad works fine instead. Do you really need to use a function key?

Taff™ 12:04 PM 02 Jul 11

Make & Model of laptop would help. On some it is a Fn Key function and on others it is a physical button usually next to or above the touchpad. The icon on the relevant Fn Key usually looks like a rectangle with a finger pointing - check the Function keys across the top of the keyboard for something similar. The Fn key to use in combination is bottom left of the keyboard.

woodchip 12:19 PM 02 Jul 11

My HP works with both Touchpad and mouse, you may have disabled it in device manager

kimtrnc 12:23 PM 02 Jul 11

Taff, it's an Acer Aspire 5630, approximately 8 years old. The FN key plus the "finger" and F7 worked well, thanks. Knew it was simple, but just couldn't quite get the right combination. Thanks

kimtrnc 12:25 PM 02 Jul 11

Woodchip - on mine it doesn't!, but thanks for the advice

Taff™ 12:28 PM 02 Jul 11

Glad that's sorted. On your model it will probably be a PS2 connection (Green Connection) as opposed to a USB mouse. The PS2 connections used to disable the touchpad on some models of laptops - that's my guess anyway!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Vaio Z Canvas release date, price and specs: Another Surface Pro rival but for the US

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Adobe unveils Sketch-rival Project Comet for UX design

How to fix iOS 9 problem iPhone stuck screen, unresponsive, no swipe, frozen, can't turn off