retrieving files

carver 12:55 24 Apr 08

I'm in the process of fitting a new mobo and cpu and wanted to back up my files/photos onto an external hard drive which I have done.

I'm using Win xp pro.

The problem is how do I get them back onto the main drive.

I haven't done any thing yet as I am trying to sort out how to do things right.

Main drive is labelled C; and the external is labelled K; the problem is if I right click onto any thing in drive K; it doesn't give me the option of sending anything to drive C;.

I get the option for every thing else bar that.

I am now in the process of needing a wig.

Help please, I know that for some people this might seem a very simple question but my sanity is at stake.

recap 13:14 24 Apr 08

You can try the drag and drop method.

Diemmess 13:24 24 Apr 08

"option of sending anything to drive C:"

You can leave the files where they are if you wish, and still find/open them with your photo program or Windows Media Player for example.

or

If you want to put them back onto C: you can use My computer, highlight the files in K: and in Edit select Copy.
Then go to C: and select Paste.

This is a simple way, though there are many others.
I would suggest copying rather than "moving" or "sending to" because the files will remain for as long as you want in K: as a safe duplicate store for your data.

Ditch999 15:52 24 Apr 08

To add a destination to the Send To menu, you must add a shortcut to the SendTo folder. To do this, follow these steps:
1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. In the Open box, type sendto, and then click OK.
3. Add a destination by doing one of the following:
• Use the drag-and-drop operation to move the item that you want to the SendTo folder; to do so, right-click, and then click Create Shortcuts Here.
-or-
• Point to New on the File menu, and then click Shortcut.

Follow the instructions in the Create Shortcut Wizard.
A new shortcut is created in the SendTo folder, and it is displayed on the Send To menu.

This will work for any drive or folder that you can create a shortcut to.

carver 21:38 24 Apr 08

Thanks for the advice, I'll try that tomorrow, the reason I want to get it right is that I'm also going to upgrade my daughters p/c.

If I get that wrong you'l see the headlines in the paper sbout daughter kills father.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…