retrieving files

carver 12:55 24 Apr 08

I'm in the process of fitting a new mobo and cpu and wanted to back up my files/photos onto an external hard drive which I have done.

I'm using Win xp pro.

The problem is how do I get them back onto the main drive.

I haven't done any thing yet as I am trying to sort out how to do things right.

Main drive is labelled C; and the external is labelled K; the problem is if I right click onto any thing in drive K; it doesn't give me the option of sending anything to drive C;.

I get the option for every thing else bar that.

I am now in the process of needing a wig.

Help please, I know that for some people this might seem a very simple question but my sanity is at stake.

recap 13:14 24 Apr 08

You can try the drag and drop method.

Diemmess 13:24 24 Apr 08

"option of sending anything to drive C:"

You can leave the files where they are if you wish, and still find/open them with your photo program or Windows Media Player for example.

or

If you want to put them back onto C: you can use My computer, highlight the files in K: and in Edit select Copy.
Then go to C: and select Paste.

This is a simple way, though there are many others.
I would suggest copying rather than "moving" or "sending to" because the files will remain for as long as you want in K: as a safe duplicate store for your data.

Ditch999 15:52 24 Apr 08

To add a destination to the Send To menu, you must add a shortcut to the SendTo folder. To do this, follow these steps:
1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. In the Open box, type sendto, and then click OK.
3. Add a destination by doing one of the following:
• Use the drag-and-drop operation to move the item that you want to the SendTo folder; to do so, right-click, and then click Create Shortcuts Here.
-or-
• Point to New on the File menu, and then click Shortcut.

Follow the instructions in the Create Shortcut Wizard.
A new shortcut is created in the SendTo folder, and it is displayed on the Send To menu.

This will work for any drive or folder that you can create a shortcut to.

carver 21:38 24 Apr 08

Thanks for the advice, I'll try that tomorrow, the reason I want to get it right is that I'm also going to upgrade my daughters p/c.

If I get that wrong you'l see the headlines in the paper sbout daughter kills father.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Acer Predator Triton 700 review

D&AD Awards 2017: see the best design, advertising, illustration, animation and VR of the past year

How to lose weight with an Apple Watch