Retrieving Excite email using Outlook Express?

stlucia 20:11 02 Nov 09

I've configured Outlook Express to retrieve email from a couple of accounts I've got with Madasafish, thanks to some guidance from this forum.

Now I want to add my Excite account so I can retrieve its email at the same time (Message Rules will send it to a different folder), but it doesn't seem to work. I've created a new account in OE and put the required information in the appropriate boxes, and ticked the same boxes as I did with the other two accounts. OE seems to connect to Excite okay, but then it hangs and gives an error message:-

"The server responded with an error. Account: 'Excite', Server: 'mail.excite.com', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR AVG POP3 Proxy Server: Cannot connect to the mail server!', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC90

Any idea what this is trying to tell me, please? I've Googled the error number and it says it's password rejected, so I've gone into the Excite web site and checked my password is correct.

ashleycardwell94 20:12 02 Nov 09

have you tried to see if you have enabled pop3 access to your excite account and is it imap?

stlucia 20:25 02 Nov 09

I've just checked my account, and there doesn't seem to be any option to enable POP3 access to the account, and there's no reference to "imap", whatever that is.

The only reference to POP3 in my settings is the option for me to use Excite to retreive POP3 messages from other email accounts.

stlucia 20:21 03 Nov 09

^

walesrob 20:39 03 Nov 09

Pop is enabled by default. The settings you need:

pop server: pop.excite.uk (NOT .co.uk) Port 110

smtp server: smtp.excite.uk (NOT .co.uk) Port 25 Authenticated.

I remember signing up to the new Excite a year ago

walesrob 20:44 03 Nov 09

A big BUT...

If its excite.com your referring to, your out of luck, its webmail only. My previous post is only for Excite UK

Sea Urchin 21:12 03 Nov 09

Your Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP) should be the same as that on the Madasafish accounts.

stlucia 10:50 04 Nov 09

... thanks, I am with excite.com, and I've just found out (while this site was down) that I can only use OE to access my mail if I sign up for their Gold account -- which is not free.

I'll have a look at excite.co.uk and see if it's worth switching.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…