Retrieving data off old PC HDD

Simon Baum 16:53 22 Jul 08

I have an old Mesh PC which died. The disk, which appeared as one drive when using the PC is actually two 120GB Serial ATA hard drives. Is it possible to connect these (via USB?) to my new computer so that I can retrieve some of the data on the disk?

FreeCell 18:09 22 Jul 08

Yes, just look for an external hard drive caddy and insert your existing hard drive into it. Connects to your new PC by USB.

Plenty available, use Google or similar, just make sure it is a SATA connection box not IDE and it fits 3.5 inch drives.
For example: click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:17 22 Jul 08

"The disk, which appeared as one drive when using the PC is actually two 120GB Serial ATA hard drives"

Did you have them in RAID configuration?

Files may be spread over the two drives making them harder to retrieve.

Simon Baum 09:21 23 Jul 08

The disks may well be in a RAID configuration. The support site for MESH indicates that they are, although there is no mention of this in the original documentation I had with the PC. If RAID, then is there a solution?

UncleP 11:52 23 Jul 08

You need to find out whether the disks were connected as RAID0 or RAID1. If the documentation does not specify this, the easiest way to distinguish them is that the RAID0 array would appear as a single disk of 240Gb capacity, whereas RAID1 would give 120Gb. Alternatively, Mesh should have a record of the configuration which was sent to you originally.

If they were RAID0, the bad news is that you cannot retrieve any of the information on either disk that was not backed up elsewhere in the usual manner. It is just possible that a professional data recovery firm might be able to do something, but it would be expensive.

In the case of RAID1, the two disks are mirror copies of each other (for security purposes) and not very different from a conventional single system disk. You should be able to copy files from one if it is mounted internally as a slave or externally in a caddy, as suggested above. Just treat it as a normal disk, bearing in mind that it carries an operating system (ie you don't want to try booting from it on the new computer).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…