retrieving data from hard drive - help!

exmouth 17:03 27 Nov 03

I dropped my Dell Inspirion on the floor! The laptop does not boot windows 98 and says that No Operating System can be found. Therefore I cannot access any data! If I reload Windows 98, is there any software available that I can use that will retrieve my documents, especially my Word Documents.

Please help

Many thanks

AndySD 17:16 27 Nov 03

First look on the side of the notebook fot the Hard Drive cover. Opem it and remove then reseat the hard drive and see if it boots.

exmouth 17:59 27 Nov 03

Any more help available?

Thanks

Bandy 23:21 27 Nov 03

I had a similar problem, or rather my son had, and in that case I used an hd cable adapter, fitted it to my main machine and was able to copy the wanted files off in that manner.

It may not work if your hard drive is damaged but assuming it is not the small cost of the adapter is well worthwhile. I was then able to re-install OS etc to the laptop drive before re-fitting it to the laptop.

TBH1 00:23 28 Nov 03

try booting from a floppy - - then see if you can see the C drive - -if its just the boot bit of the disc thats buggered you will be able to get your data off it, even if it means doing it via dos.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…