retrieving data from faulty HD

hel333 12:27 04 Oct 03

I've installed 40GB Exelstor HD with Windows98SE after my 15GB Quantum Fireball HD started to die. I've removed the quantum to install the exelstor (many thanks to forum members for the help!) I DO backup fairly regularly, but am hopimg to retrieve some recent data from the Quantum. My Dell XPS T700r system uses Cable select apparently. So, if I just connect the old HD as the second drive will I have a chance of getting stuff off the old HD without having to mess with BIOS settings etc - & thus risking new HD setup - I am very unfamiliar with hardware stuff. So am nervous of messing up. Help very much appreciated.

seedie 12:51 04 Oct 03

Try it and see how you get on. Connect the HD data cable to the drive with the red stripe nearest the power socket, plug the power cable into the socket and start her up.
You may have to tell the BIOS about the 2nd drive.

CD

graham√ 13:16 04 Oct 03

Once the drive is seen as a slave, presumably 'D', you should be able to open documents, etc. on it, and then save them to the new drive.

Or try Opening the drive in my computer and dragging the files into a folder on the desktop.

graham√ 13:35 04 Oct 03

Just been having a play on my trusty '95. Forget dragging to a folder on the desktop, you would still need access to the old drive.

Send them to My Briefcase, which is on C drive.

graham√ 14:08 04 Oct 03

Testing Testing ...

graham√ 14:23 04 Oct 03

From pj123 : Set your old disk as Master or Master with Slave. Set your new disk as Slave.

graham√ 14:24 04 Oct 03

. Forget Cable Select. You will need to go into the BIOS and make sure that both drives

graham√ 14:24 04 Oct 03

are detected. When booted you should be able to use Windows Explorer to drag and drop any files you want to keep.

graham√ 14:25 04 Oct 03

:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…