retreiving data from old hard drive

steerstuffer 22:05 26 Jan 06

My old computer's (Windows 98) motherboard fried. I took out the old hard drive. I've heard theare ways to get info off the old hard drive by putting it in a new computer (XP). How and is it safe? I also was told to use a external drive enclosure but have no idea what it is or how it works. How? I only need a few files from it. Any info would be great. Thanks

jimv7 22:08 26 Jan 06

Connect it in place of the cd/dvd or as slave to the new hard drive.

Thalmus 22:24 26 Jan 06

Heres how to install a second hard disk as a slave click here

External disk caddys might easier if you don't want to poke about inside your computer, all you do is insert the drive into it and then it plugs in to a USB port

Nades 22:29 26 Jan 06

these are the Hard drive caddies

click here

They are a jacket you place your hard drive in and connect to your PC via USB you PC then sees it as another storage device and you treat it the same as any hard drive
I bought one for a similar reason but found that I basically have a portable storage device at a fraction of the cost of "normal" pen drives.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…