Retain email address

JerryH 20:57 12 Mar 07

Dumb question no doubt, but nevertheless I can't find the answer anywhere! I'm fed up waiting for BT to reduce its excessive broadband charges, but I don't want to lose my snappy email address, nor confuse my contacts. Can I transfer it to new ISP and keep it? Logically I don't see why not, because to humans it is [email protected], but BT sees it as *****.[email protected], and I'm aware that electronically it's just a string of digits anyway. So can my "human" address be transferred to another ISP's digit string?

Fingees 21:29 12 Mar 07

You can usually keep your email address, as long as you use their pay as you go dial up account.

You will still be able to access via your new BB account, but will have to dial up for a few minutes at least once a month to make sure your account doesn't get closed .

I am on BT broadband, but still keep both my Freeserve & supanet Email addresses by logging on with dial up about once a month, just for a couple of minutes

daba 01:11 13 Mar 07

Ask your ISP how long your email addy will remain active (as receive only) if you move and don't want to use a dial-up account to keep it active. Make a judgement call if thats long enough for all your contacts to be made aware.

I've had various ISPs in the past and their email system will deliver mail to outlook or OE for a very long time after leaving them, I believe it's a "courtesy". I'm still receiving mail from one ISP I left over 2 years ago.

JerryH 07:10 13 Mar 07

Thanks, both. It seems you're proposing ways round the problem, but the basic issue is unresolved! If I can port my landline tel # to a new telco, why can't I do so with my email address? (I haven't written to Ofcom yet - when I phoned them the guy didn't seem to understand the question!).

JerryH 07:10 13 Mar 07

Thanks, both. It seems you're proposing ways round the problem, but the basic issue is unresolved! If I can port my landline tel # to a new telco, why can't I do so with my email address? (I haven't written to Ofcom yet - when I phoned them the guy didn't seem to understand the question!).

BT 07:20 13 Mar 07

Fingees

We are on NTL/Virgin broadband but keep our Freeserve email addresses that we had on Dialup. Every 90 days when it starts requesting Log ins and passwords we just go to the Orange website and use the Retrieve Account option which gives us another 90 days, so we don't even need to spend money on using Dial up.

daba 08:03 13 Mar 07

No, you can't MOVE your old email addy to the new ISP. The "@talk21.com" part of the email address is the domain name, and your new ISP won't own that domain. Think of the "@talk21" as a local post office, and your new one as another in another street, each receiving mail from senders. To get that mail, you'd have to go to each one to collect it all.

What actually happens is that your email client program (if you use one, like Outlook Express or Outlook), would have to have multiple accounts to check for incoming mail, and will go and collect it from the multiple ISP domains.

If you don't use an email program (eg. OE, Outlook), and you use web-mail, you would have to visit each ISPs web-mail pages individually to collect the respective mail.

JerryH 09:29 13 Mar 07

Thks again. Not the answer I hoped for, but at least you've cleared it up for me.

Fingees 09:30 13 Mar 07

BT

I don't really think any ISP should have to hold and serve your mail for you for free, especially if you have deserted them for someone else. Hence I would sooner spend 10 pence per month than have to keep chasing my account every 90 days.

all the best.

dth 10:59 13 Mar 07

Fingers - Agree with you and I do the same with my old BT email accounts.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac