Retail Video Editor - cash to splash!

Airster 13:08 07 Sep 07

First, apologies, I know there is loads on here and elsewhere on video editing software, but most of it relates to freeware.

I've had enough of faffing around with decrypting, re-formatting (although Super(C) is brilliant), re-encrypting and burning etc. I'm looking to spend some cash (up to £100!!) for a piece of software that will handle native VOBs, WMV,MOV etc, let me edit them easily and author a new DVD or export to MPEG2/4, GP3, etc, etc.

Can anyone recommend such a tool. For some reason I always seem to skip the reviews in PCA and others.

Again, apologies, but I appreciate PCA forum contributors personal experiences and opinions.

Thx

holme 13:24 07 Sep 07

Without digging deep to double-check if it will do everything you list above, we can heavily recommend Ulead VideoStudio. We run multiple copies of v10 Plus (which, incidentally, is still one of the few which is 'Core 2 Duo' aware' and which speeds up transcoding etc by a further 30% or so.)

All reports we've had of the current 11 Plus are very positive.

As it's well within your budget, we suggest the 'box' version as the printed user-guide is excellent.

We'll be glad to dig deeper if you need more info. HTH.

Airster 13:34 07 Sep 07

Thanks Holme,

When you say "we", is that your company you are referring to. C2D aware sounds good too.

I'll have a surf around and pop into my local PCW (I know, PCW, but I'm an impatient sort of person).

All I know at the moment is that I am staying away from Pinnacle Studio products. I have PS9 AV/DV and it has never worked properly from day 1.

Anyway, thanks again. Any other opinions would be welcome.

I am Spartacus 13:41 07 Sep 07

I've just started using Adobe Premier Elements 3. That too detects and uses multi-core processors.

Although it's fairly new to me I'm finding it extremely intuitive and easy to use.

You can get a trial version to get a 'feel' for it from click here

holme 14:05 07 Sep 07

Yes, it's not the "Royal We"! There are four of us presently at Holme. Generally our responses will first have been kicked round the office so will be a consensus. If not, we'll say so.

PCW isn't the cheapest of course but handy if local. We got all ours there (but not currently listed on their website). Why not try the , er, trial version before deciding?

We've had poor reliability from Pinnacle Studio v8-10 but, only yesterday, someone said he was doing very well with v10 Plus.

Airster 09:30 08 Sep 07

Thanks both. I will indeed give the trial versions of both a whirl. I just hope they are time, not feature, limited.

Thanks again.

I am Spartacus 10:34 08 Sep 07

The Adobe trial is only time limited (30 days) but it does put a small Adobe icon in the top right of any output you create so make sure you use it on a backup rather than the original.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced