Restrictions on Internet Options

kimjhon 02:31 03 Jun 03

When I try to access Internet Options a box pops up telling me 'This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions placed in effect on this computer. Please consult your systems asministrator.'

Win98SE, IE 6.0

But I can open Internet Options via the Control Panel.

(Have run antivirus and Spybot)

Any ideas, please. I have had no experience with system administration.

temp003 05:13 03 Jun 03

I have not used Spybot, but I seem to remember reading that it has certain options to impose restrictions on changing home page and accessing internet options from the browser itself.

If that's the cause, decide for yourself whether you want to keep that restriction.

If Spybot is not the cause, you may have to go into the registry. Click Start, Run, and type regedit and press enter. Expand the tree on the left hand side and see if there is a key called:

HKEY Current User\ Software\Policies\ Microsoft\ Internet Explorer\Restrictions \NoBrowserOptions

If you can find it, and the value is 1, then that's the cause. To lift the restriction, either delete the NoBrowserOptions key, or change its value to 0.

Before you make any changes to the registry, back up the key first. Highlight Restrictions on the left hand side, from the top menu click registry, select export registry file, and save it to a location you can remember.

kimjhon 07:13 03 Jun 03

Hi temp003
Thank you.
Have to say that is really amazing. Changed the Registry.
The quickest fix ever. - one minute, all sorted.

After spending hours in Win Help and getting nowhere.

Thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…