Restrictions in effect

Shanks 20:51 17 Dec 03

On system with win98 which has previously been stable, I am now geting errors when I try to start programs like Word. I double click the icon and get a message saying that the program has caused a illegal operation and will be shut down then I get a message saying 'the program has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer'

I am the only user on this stand alone pc.

Anyone know how I can get rid of this message.
Thanks

Gongoozler 21:14 17 Dec 03

This could be the Happy99.exe virus. click here

(repeated with spaces to prevent conversion to "Click here")

http: // support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=click here

VoG II 21:17 17 Dec 03

Or possibly click here depending on the version of Word. When you say "like Word" do you mean Office programs or are there others that give the same error?

The more info the better, as usual.

Shanks 21:27 17 Dec 03

Thanks for the replies. I did mean MS Word from office'97. I've also noticed that when I boot up NAV will not start and says that it cannot initiate the virus scanning engine database. I will look at happy99exe virus and see if this is the cause

Cheers

Shanks 21:53 17 Dec 03

OK, I have checked for the virus and it is not present, two seperate virues checkers have confirmed this, so if anyone's got any other suggestions I'd be very grateful
thanks

Shanks 23:07 17 Dec 03

VoG

Thanks, almost all programs are giving the same response. Photoshop Elements, Word, Outlook Express. And yet Nero, Internet Explorer both work fine without any problems. I have just looked at the properties of the shortcut to Word and the whole of the 2nd tab showing file locations etc is blank and greyed out. I have tried starting it direct from the winword.exe file in explorer and get the same result.

I really don't want to lose the data on this system- is there a way to repair win98 without reinstalling it?
TIA

VoG II 23:17 17 Dec 03

Try an online scan click here or click here or click here

FormatKing 02:00 18 Dec 03

this error normally occurs if normal.dot template is corrupted
search for normal.dot and delete all entries found
when you reopen word it will create a new normal.dot template but you will have to reset printer settings and any words you added to spell checker as its like opening word for the first time

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…