Restricted Sites with IE7

edna 15:54 30 Apr 07

Hi,
The previous owner of this desktop has listed hundreds of websites under the Restricted Sites tab and they are now preventing me from accessing sites I need such as my online banking service etc. I keep deleting them [very laborious, one at a time] but they are still there the next time I open IE. How do I remove these permanently and is there any way I can do this in bulk? I have only just returned to using IE because of the problem, went onto firefox but that has now become unstable so want to return to IE.

MrNerdy 15:59 30 Apr 07

When you say 'previous owner' are you on a networked pc or stand alone?
Are you the 2nd user of this pc??

skidzy 16:05 30 Apr 07

Have you tried resetting IE within tools/internet options to the default settings and reboot.You may lose all addons if you decide to reset IE.

edna 16:07 30 Apr 07

I am the 2nd owner, the previous owner built it himself. I have it on a home network system.

edna 16:09 30 Apr 07

Hi skidzy,
I've been trying to use Options to change the sites but haven't tried the default settings as you suggested. Not bothered about losing add ons just want to be able to use it properly.
I will try your suggestion now

edna 16:12 30 Apr 07

Skidzy, all default has done is put the level up to the highest. - site list still full

skidzy 16:17 30 Apr 07

Are you using IE7 or IE6 ?

edna 16:24 30 Apr 07

IE7 - totally updated

skidzy 16:29 30 Apr 07

Have you considered rolling back to IE6,uninstall IE7 this will auto revert to IE6,hopefully this will take those settings away.
You could then try updating to IE7 again.
But i have this sneaky suspicion that the uninstall and reinstall method will import all the settings again.

I will have a look around later for you,to see if there is a way to stop the addresses reinventing themselves after you have removed them.

edna 16:32 30 Apr 07

Already tried uninstalling and reinstalling but still there. It is becoming REALLY annoying, as I said, I changed to firefox after attempting it and failing before. There must be a way.

skidzy 17:39 30 Apr 07

Just a quick thought,have tried disabling your firewall briefly and try to access those blocked sites ?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now