Restoring XL on a Dell

Prewch 18:14 22 Sep 06

A friend has a Dell Dimension 5150 running Windows XP and Microsoft Office which were both pre loaded by Dell.

He has recently found that Microsoft XL does not work and when attempting to start it gets an error message asking him to use Microsoft Office (standard) to reinstall XL.

Because both Windows XP and Microsofrt Office were pre loaded (and thus he has no CDs) he has referred his problem initially to Dell.

They have suggested he uses the Dell PC Restore but is loathe to do this because of losing all his data (unless he backs it up) and more importantly having the irk of re-installing all his other software.

Is there a less drastic solution to this problem than using Dell PC Restore?

prewch

STREETWORK 19:17 22 Sep 06

Does the Dell have a second partition on the hard drive, check in 'my computer' if it has then Dell has loaded the 'recovery' on this. Check Dells website

Strawballs 19:33 22 Sep 06

Is there not an option to install individual applications from the Dell restore as well as the restore factory settings.

STREETWORK 19:40 22 Sep 06

Should be...

Simsy 20:31 22 Sep 06

"System restore" i.e. the bult in WIndows utility, not the Dell feature?

Regards,

Simsy

Prewch 22:41 22 Sep 06

Ta everbody,

My friend has tried system restore without success.

Yes, according to Dell there is a separate partition with the PC recovery on it.

I'll get him to check (with Dell?)whether its possible to re-install individual components like Excel.

prewch

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now