Restoring Windows 2000

The Belarussian Mafia 21:32 27 Aug 05

After a long holiday (over a month) I switched on my laptop for the first time, downloaded loads of updates, then thought I'd defrag, before which I always do a disk cleanup. Diskcleanup offered to compress nearly a gig of "old files", which I duly ticked.

A few minutes into the cleanup a message appeared saying "Files that are required to run Windows have been replaced by unrecognised versions. To maintain system stability, Windows must restore the original versions of these files. Insert your Windows 2000 Professional disk now". Maybe Windows is so thick that the fact some essential files haven't been used for a month means it thinks they aren't being used(!)

Apart from this question of why Windows has apparently compressed and made inaccessible some essential files, I am now afraid to turn off the laptop, as I don't have the required disk. (The laptop was second hand.) I can't see how to undo what has been done as Win 2K doesn't seem to have the rollback facility of XP. Even if I bought a Win 2K disk second hand, would Windows perhaps reject it as a different disk to the actual one used for registration when the OS was first installed?

Any ideas? (I'll not be able to reply to any postings tonight, as I've got jetlag, and am off to beddybies.)

The Belarussian Mafia 21:53 27 Aug 05

Just an afterthought: perhaps (if I'm lucky) the 'Windows file protection' system that flagged the warning message only said what it said because the file format label had changed, i.e. is it perhaps just not aware that the files will still be accessible the first time they are accessed (via decompression)?

The Belarussian Mafia 19:35 09 Sep 05

Does anyone have any thoughts?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…