Restoring partitioned disk to one partition

Ian in Northampton 15:11 PM 14 Oct 12

I have a PC that the previous owner partitioned the hard drive into two (and installed an operating system on each). It's come to time when I need to reinstall XP, and I want to revert to a single partition. Can I do that as and when I install XP? From memory, the XP install routine just allows you to format the partition on which you want to install the OS. I think I have a copy of Partition Magic lying around, so perhaps I'd do better to install XP on the current C partition, then delete whatever's on D, then use PM to repartition it into one. Anyone have any guidance as to the best way forward?

Terry Brown 15:42 PM 14 Oct 12

With the xp cd, boot from the disk and accept all settings until you get to the blue screen 'Terms and Conditions', press F8, then ESC.

This will take you to the advanced mode, you can then delete partitions and rebuid as you want.

Terry

Ian in Northampton 17:12 PM 14 Oct 12

Great - thanks Terry.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus launch live: What to expect from Apple's 9 September 2015…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This installation lets you control a laser and sound show using your mind

Apple's special event invitations decoded: A look back at 13 of Apple's most cryptic invites