Restoring factory settings on Toshiba Portege

EmilyH 18:41 15 Apr 09

Hi, I've been given a second hand Toshiba Portege for my studies by a family friend. She hasn't kept any discs or anything helpful, just the laptop and the power cable. The laptop runs really slow and has no antivirus sotware so I'd like to restore the factory settings. I've tried deleting files and programmes but it's not helping. Does anyone know how to restore the factory settings? I don't think there is anything on there that I want to keep, I can't use it at the moment and I haven't paid for it, so I wont be any further back if it doesn't work. I've done it before on an Acer laptop and thought that you just press F11 on start up? That hasn't done anything so far?
Once I've reset the laptop, I'll put on AVG. OS is XP.

MAJ 19:03 15 Apr 09

Give us the model number of your Toshiba Portege. Have you tried tapping F8 on startup to bring up the advanced startup menu? It might give you a "Repair Your Computer" option. If it does, then the restore to factory settings option is usually in there. But give us the model number anyway, to be sure.

EmilyH 19:15 15 Apr 09

Model number for laptop is PP200L-00001. I'd appreciate any help, and a step by step guide for a dummy! I'm a computer user not an expert! Thanks

EmilyH 19:19 15 Apr 09

I've tried the F8 on restart and I've come up with a few options - not sure what to go for:

Safe Mode
Safe mode with networking
Safe mode with command prompt
Enable Boot Logging
Enable VGA Mode
Last known good configuration
Directory services restore mode (Windows domain controllers only)
Debugging mode
Disbale automatic restart on system failure
return to OS choices menu

(~oo~) 19:24 15 Apr 09

It needs the toshiba restore disk.

the manual is click here

MAJ 19:34 15 Apr 09

As (~oo~) says, EmilyH, you need the recovery disks from Toshiba. None of the options you have listed will help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…