Restoring Emails OE6

hawthorn59 16:48 26 Feb 08

Hi Folks

Lost most emails recently when trying to transfer from OE to Windows mail on new machine. (Have since returned new maching, for credit note, waiting for new spec to come in, but thats another story!)

Im still on the old machine now so forget W Mail and new machine! I have OE6 and XP. So, lost all emails. Tried everything suggested here, thanks all for helo at the time.

However, I have found an earlier backup of OE6 store folder, so at least I would have some of the emails, just not the recent ones.

Heres the thing though. Only the emails in folders beginning with letters A to F were missing!! Weird I know.

So I only need to restore those folders. Can I just delete the others from the back up folder, and then restore/import A-F? is there a master folder or index I need?

What I dont want is to cause a right mess and lose the current contents of my OE.

I hope Im explaining that clearly enough.

thanks

h

Gongoozler 17:18 26 Feb 08

The folders in OE are really files with the emails compressed. For each OE folder there is a file of the same name with the extension dbx. There is also a file called folders.dbx which OE needs to decode the compressed files.
A very useful little program is available for free download called DBXtract click here (there is also a newer version for only $7 click here). I only have experience of the free version. This program extracts all the emails in a folder (file) as eml files which can be read by OE. The eml file is a text version of the email.

hawthorn59 17:43 26 Feb 08

OK so I take it I would only select the folders i want, and it extracts them. How then do I get them back into OE6?

Would I not be better just "importing from store folder" the ones I need? Or is dbxtract easier?

thanks

h

Gongoozler 19:49 26 Feb 08

You could simply find where OE stores the files and overwrite them. The usefulness of DBXtract is that you can read backed up copies of the files without importing them. To find where OE keeps the files, click Tools - Options - Maintenance - Store Folder.

Stuartli 20:23 26 Feb 08

I've successfully used OEView in the past:

click here

hawthorn59 04:39 27 Feb 08

Sorry I knew I probably didnt explain it well...!

I have no problem finding where OE has its store folder; Ive backed up and imported before when changing pc, or after a reformat. What I want to do is import a certain amount of folders from previously backed up store folder ie I actually do want to import them.

But i dont want to overwrite what I already have in OE, and I fear there may be folders with the same name.

h

Gongoozler 09:20 27 Feb 08

The reason I suggested DBXtract was so that you could have a look to see what is in the backups.I don't think you can import some emails into OE. I think you can only import complete dbx files which then become OE folders, but with DBXtract you can at least read the emails from the backup.

hawthorn59 15:41 27 Feb 08

Goongoozler

Thanks, i wasnt sure if i could import only certain ones or not. It will probably be safer to use DBXtract, at least as you say, i can read them. i can copy any important ones and email them to myself or something like that!

thanks

h

hawthorn59 19:15 10 Mar 08

Hi

I managed to read them all. Theyre sorted in folders, just wondering is there a way to bring the folder and its contents into OE? At the moment Im just dragging and dropping the emails individually , and while it works, it will take ages.

h

GroupFC 19:28 10 Mar 08

"At the moment Im just dragging and dropping the emails individually , and while it works, it will take ages."

I am not sure if this would work but if you are dragging and dropping you could try doing them "en masse". Hightlight the first one, hold the shift key and click on the last one and all the ones in between should be highlighted, and then drag them across.

hawthorn59 02:00 11 Mar 08

Well that does work, but I was hoping to drag the folder too!! Probably being a bit greedy, will just have to create new folders and re sort them!

Oh well, at least I recovered some of them!

thnks

h

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…