Restoring computer from system image

bengo 26 May 11

Hi, I am running Windows 7 Home Premium and a couple of days ago I had a virus/trojan (Win32/fakesysdef) which my anti virus (Microsoft Security Essentials) did not seem to pick up, finally cleared it using the free Norton Erasor but have been left with a few problems, the ones I know about are; unable to change the wallpaper and lots of files and folders that were not "Hidden" are now "Hidden". The ones I see are easy enough to change back but I dont know what else has happened. A few days before this happened I used the Backup facility in Windows to create an Image and a Backup, I have never restored from an Image before and wondered if there was anything in particular to watch out for and a rough idea of how long it takes.Any help will be gratefully received, Tks

woodchip 26 May 11

To me Windows Backup is like using Chewing gum to mend a Cup, Better using Acronis to Create Images to External Drive

bengo 26 May 11

I do have the image on an external drive, tks anyway

lotvic 26 May 11

How to Do a System Image Recovery in Windows 7 with screenshots, should sort it

Zeppelyn 26 May 11

"To me Windows Backup is like using Chewing gum to mend a Cup, Better using Acronis to Create Images to External Drive"

Absolute nonsense, Windows 7 Backup and restore is the best and easiest to use Windows backup yet and will get the job done. Acronis is now a waste of money when Windows does the job more than adequately.

Just follow lotvics link and you will be up and running in no time.

woodchip 26 May 11

Zeppelyn So will this Image created By Windows Install on a New Blank Hard Drive. From Boot

bengo 26 May 11

lotvic, thanks for the link, read it through and it all seems to make sense, will try to do it tomorrow or Saturday when I have more time.

Zeppelyn, Thanks for your comments, What you say makes sense to me

Tks

hastelloy 26 May 11

Zeppelyn - I'm with woodchip on this. Also Acronis isn't a waste of money if you download the free version from Seagate or Western Digital, depending on which make of HDD you have.

lotvic 26 May 11

I use Acronis, started off with the free one a few years ago.

ventanas 26 May 11

I don't take any chances, I use both.

compumac 26 May 11

Acronis has saved me a lot of heartache more than once.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Windows 10 Home vs Windows 10 Pro comparison: Here are the extra features you get in the Pro version

Why Formula-e needs to go faster

How Instagram spots trends

How to use Apple Music in the UK: Complete guide to Apple Music's features

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message