Restoring computer from system image

bengo 13:47 PM 26 May 11

Hi, I am running Windows 7 Home Premium and a couple of days ago I had a virus/trojan (Win32/fakesysdef) which my anti virus (Microsoft Security Essentials) did not seem to pick up, finally cleared it using the free Norton Erasor but have been left with a few problems, the ones I know about are; unable to change the wallpaper and lots of files and folders that were not "Hidden" are now "Hidden". The ones I see are easy enough to change back but I dont know what else has happened. A few days before this happened I used the Backup facility in Windows to create an Image and a Backup, I have never restored from an Image before and wondered if there was anything in particular to watch out for and a rough idea of how long it takes.Any help will be gratefully received, Tks

woodchip 14:02 PM 26 May 11

To me Windows Backup is like using Chewing gum to mend a Cup, Better using Acronis to Create Images to External Drive

bengo 14:06 PM 26 May 11

I do have the image on an external drive, tks anyway

lotvic 14:51 PM 26 May 11

How to Do a System Image Recovery in Windows 7 with screenshots, should sort it

Zeppelyn 15:00 PM 26 May 11

"To me Windows Backup is like using Chewing gum to mend a Cup, Better using Acronis to Create Images to External Drive"

Absolute nonsense, Windows 7 Backup and restore is the best and easiest to use Windows backup yet and will get the job done. Acronis is now a waste of money when Windows does the job more than adequately.

Just follow lotvics link and you will be up and running in no time.

woodchip 15:04 PM 26 May 11

Zeppelyn So will this Image created By Windows Install on a New Blank Hard Drive. From Boot

bengo 15:20 PM 26 May 11

lotvic, thanks for the link, read it through and it all seems to make sense, will try to do it tomorrow or Saturday when I have more time.

Zeppelyn, Thanks for your comments, What you say makes sense to me

hastelloy 18:07 PM 26 May 11

Zeppelyn - I'm with woodchip on this. Also Acronis isn't a waste of money if you download the free version from Seagate or Western Digital, depending on which make of HDD you have.

lotvic 21:13 PM 26 May 11

I use Acronis, started off with the free one a few years ago.

ventanas 22:21 PM 26 May 11

I don't take any chances, I use both.

compumac 22:27 PM 26 May 11

Acronis has saved me a lot of heartache more than once.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Cyber Monday deals 2015 live blog: Best UK Cyber Monday tech deals, sales, discounts & offers

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Harry Potter's graphic designers showcase magical props & posters in new exhibition

Apple rumours & predictions 2016: What to expect from Apple in 2016