restoring "C" drive only

geedad 22:48 26 Nov 09

I have a Sony recovery disc with various options, and I wish to restore my "C" drive to its original state.
Since using the PC for a few years, I have partitioned my HDD as : "C" and "D".
If I restore my "C" partition, will it affect the "D" partition in any way - I mean, will it wipe "D" as well?
The info on the Sony Recovery Disc refers to the "C" drive only, but I need to be sure.
( I HAVE backed up both!)
Looking to those Forum members who have actually had their own experience in this subject.
Thanks
geedad

woodchip 22:56 26 Nov 09

If it only had one Partition, That means no Hidden Partition, it will wipe the Partition's back to as it was before if the Restore will still Work

geedad 23:15 26 Nov 09

Hi,woodchip!
I have had many good pieces of advice from you in the past,for which I have been very grateful, but I am slightly confused by this recent reply from you. Do you mean that ALL of the PC's HDD will be wiped if I try to just restore partition "C"?
If that is the case, will my backed up "C" and "D" bring all back to 'normal', assuming my Recovery disc has done its job?
Thanks again,
geedad

woodchip 23:24 26 Nov 09

Yes it will wipe the drive if the Restore CD works in Restoring, As it rewrites the Partition information along with reloading OS and Software that was on the Computer when you got it. Another problem is that if you have changed haded Hardware the Restore CD may not work until you restore Hardware back to as it was when the Restore Image was Created at Manufacture This is one of the Problems with just a Restore CD, If you have a full Operating System CD also, you could use that to Repair C:\ without it touching anything else. You may be able to borrow one. It needs to be the Same OS if it XP Home XP Pro cd is no good it as to be the same

geedad 23:33 26 Nov 09

woodchip
Many, many thanks again!
Very good advice - as usual!
geedad

woodchip 23:35 26 Nov 09

Good I hope it helps. As I waited before going to bed as i thought you would come back

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac