restoring backup

john-231489 14:59 25 Oct 06

Hi

I have just replace my wife's computer because it has finally given up the ghost. I have a full backup of the hard drive which I created using Acronis 9 onto an external hard drive. Is is possible to transfer with onto the new computer or will I have to start again and reload everything.

Many thanks

anskyber 15:22 25 Oct 06

Its important to remember that the Acronis back up images the specific computer you have run it on.

So each element (including the specific version ) together with the particular graphics card and other hardware devices are the image created.

If the new PC is identical in every respect I think it will not work.

anskyber 15:23 25 Oct 06

Unless the new PC etc

keja 15:29 25 Oct 06

The image of the old computer will have all the drivers etc for that computer.
I'm guessing the new computer is not an identical model?
If you load all the programs including Acronis you can then access the external drive for the documents and have a nice clean installation on the new computer.

john-231489 16:05 25 Oct 06

Hi. I had a feeling it was not going to be that easy. I am now in the process of installing windows on her new machine and will see how it goes.

Many thanks John

woodchip 16:39 25 Oct 06

The backup will only be good for getting Photos, docs E-Mail etc off it. When You get the Computer load Acronis Software on to your Hard Disc, Then in Windows Explorer, after putting the disc with Backup Image in. Right Click the Image and choose Explorer, this creates a virtual drive, it mounts the Image as if it was a Drive Gives it a Drive letter, you can then Explorer the Image and drag any files from the Image onto the New drive. after you have done with the Image, right click on the drive letter and choose unplug.

You cannot load the Image onto the new computer as just as above it was created for the old computer. Drivers and Hardware are different.

Diemmess 16:50 25 Oct 06

A restoration to a new computer will transfer everything as you hoped, but as everyone has said it almost certainly wont run.
If you are very lucky you might struggle with safe mode and replace the motherboard drivers with the correct ones, one at a time.

A new installation of Windows and your applications will be slow, but clean and very much worthwhile. The data can be wheeled across at the end.

john-231489 11:18 28 Oct 06

Hi All

Sorry in not replying sooner but my computer went belly up so I am going to be very busy sorting both. As you suggest I think a clean install will be the best route

Many thanks

John

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced